Trash bag for backround?

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
I want to put up a black background for my native tank. I didn't think about painting it like I usually do until like 2 days ago. Since then I got the paint for it but I didn't have enough room to get it, so I used that paint for my stand instead. Since I don't have the room to get the paint roller behind the tank I thought about using poster board, but I'm worried about it getting wet and becoming soggy( my pseed likes to splash me before I feed him sometimes) so anykind of paper is out of the question. I went to the lfs today and looked around for one of their backgrounds to fit my tank and they didn't have any, literally zero backrounds for anything larger than a 20 gallon. So That route is is a no go. The only other thing I could think of is getting black trash bags and using one to cover the back and tape it on. Unless anyone has some other way to accomplish the black backround that I haven't thought of. But if you have used the trash bag idea do you have any tips on how to do it without having wrinkles. Pictures are always a plus.

wcgunns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
DFW, Texas
HobbyLobby has a black foam board that you could slide behind the tank and it doesn't get soggy when it gets wet.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I've never heard of hobby lobby
hobby lobby is one of the businesses that advocated against obama care because they didn't want to be responsible for providing birth control to their employees.

Even just a black piece of fabric might do the trick, or you could buy a cheap sheet of insulation from Lowes (thats a hardware store... ;)) and paint it black.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry but the black trash bag background sounds really ghetto.

Reactions: BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Mirrors? I'd like to see that
Well... here is my 37 gallon angel tank, pictures taken just now, just for you... a little hard to see the mirror through the plants and bubbles at night...
20150729_234235.jpg
But here is a fish and a reflection...
20150729_234439.jpg
And the same tank before it was overrun by vegetation. Maybe I should cull soon...
Angel_1.jpg

And here is my 75 gallon oscar tank from a while back... It almost doesn't look like a mirror, and not just because of the algae, which almost completely covers the back wall now...

Tiger_1.jpg

And, once upon a time, I had my tropicals stocked in my 75 gallon...

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've done the trash bag background when I was a kid and I remembered it didn't look that great.

However, I do have a native tank right now that has gardening weed guard fabric and I think it looks really good.IMG_0193-1.JPG I have a huge roll of this in the shed so it didn't cost me any extra $

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store