Setup question need answers ASAP please

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
I am looking a purchasing a 610 gallon long setup to replace my 125. Planning freshwater with rays and a arowana. Plan for filtration was a 70 to 125 sump with a aqua lifeguard I thank that is the name (pond filter) plumbed in. However when I called to order the tank and stand the I told that I would be better to go with high quality canister filters for freshwater setup because they need more water movement and a closed system. Has anyone found this to be true he also stated that I shouldn't get overflows. Any suggestions or opinions would greatly help

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I would suggest you run a sump. With overflows. 2 inch drains just in case. I'd say at least 4 drain lines for a Herbie. If you want to do a Beanimal, you'd need 6 I think, but I'm not sure about beanimal's--I've never built one myself.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'd also suggest acrylic tank. glass would be incredibly heavy. and 2 pumps instead of one--if one breaks, hopefully the other one would still provide some waterflow while you get a replacement. as for whether you need a closed loop for rays, i don't know. I know rays put out A LOT more ammonia after they eat than fish, and they eat lots more and more often. You may need more flow or special sump planning for them. check with the guys in the rays forum about that.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Run at least 125g sump. Get the tank drilled with 2-2" drains and overflows Very simple and easy to maintain

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Get 4-2" drains. It's real easy for the tank builder to drill 2 more holes while he's drilling the first 2. If you don't want to use em all, just plug em. It'd be a pain to drill 2 more drains later if he decided to run silent--drain it, take it down, turn it over, maybe change overflows.

Run at least 125g sump. Get the tank drilled with 2-2" drains and overflows Very simple and easy to maintain

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
Thanks for all the suggestion I think I'm sticking with the sump how do you make silent drains

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I'd go with what others have stated. I'm curious why the builder suggested not to go with sump and no overflow? BTW, if you want additional circulation in the tank, I would have them drill holes for a "closed loop circulation". This way, you could avoid having to add powerheads in the large tank. Is your tank going to be rectangular shaped? If so, are you planning on a coast-to-coast overflow?

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
Agree with other posters, stick with sump and 4x 2" drains. Just get a good wave maker for intank circ to keep stuff suspended in water column until it goes into your overflow.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Only criculation I have is in my sump. Water in my display tank stays moving with just the Loc Line outputs on the returns. If your pumps are big enough, you might get away with a totally empty display tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store