Tap water

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
So I had an issue with our tap water before I re set up our tank. I am not going to go into details but I think high phosphate was an issue. We have been using water out LFS sells that has already been cured. However it is a bit pricy and I wish to carry out more water changes. I would like to use the tap water but I don't want to introduce an issue to the tank. Is there a way to make sure it is safe? I want to hear ALL methods!
- Thank you

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The EPA has required water providers in the US (depending on population) to add a small dose of phosphate (usually around 0.2ppm).
The phosphate coats the inside of pipes and prevents lead from leaching out into drinking water.
The phosphate is not harmful to fish, but can cause algal blooms.
There are phosphate removing substances available to put in filters or sumps.

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
The EPA has required water providers in the US (depending on population) to add a small dose of phosphate (usually around 0.2ppm).
The phosphate coats the inside of pipes and prevents lead from leaching out into drinking water.
The phosphate is not harmful to fish, but can cause algal blooms.
There are phosphate removing substances available to put in filters or sumps.
Ah alright. So besides using using dechlorinator are there any other precautions or things I should use to make the tap water better? I've heard something about letting it sit out but I think that is for chlorine and I think our tap water uses both chlorines and chloramine

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Tap water + prime or safe. Like duanes said it's not a big deal, seachem makes phosguard, fuval makes clearmax there's a bunch of them out there. Unless you're having a problem I wouldn't worry about it.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Ah alright. So besides using using dechlorinator are there any other precautions or things I should use to make the tap water better? I've heard something about letting it sit out but I think that is for chlorine and I think our tap water uses both chlorines and chloramine
Letting it sit out is not so much for aiding in chlorine removal (your sodium thyosulphate containing dechlorinators took care of that). It is mainly for aeration to increase the oxygen levels. Some municipal systems are strictly closed systems fed from aquifers and the lesser dissolved oxygen content gets depleted all the more in the "rusting" process within the pipes. 2 or 3 hours of good "folding" or churning with an airstone weighted at the bottom of the bucket, or even a powerhead is all that is needed to remedy this and makes for fast and easy adjustment of Ph in the mean time.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
if your water supplier uses chloramine instead of chlorine, letting it sit doesn't really do anything.
What city does your water supply come from? I can check to see what the water is all about.

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
if your water supplier uses chloramine instead of chlorine, letting it sit doesn't really do anything.
What city does your water supply come from? I can check to see what the water is all about.
McKinney, Texas

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Here is what I found, looks like both ozonation and chloramine are used as disinfectants, nitrate is low (in the 1-2ppm range), phosphate is below 0.05ppm and alkalinity (the ability of your water to buffer acids like fish urine) is 104 ppm (good)
and pH averages around 8, perfect for Central American and African cichlids.
http://www.mckinneytexas.org/waterreport

I consider the link below the best, click on the water quality tab, at the top of the page
www.ntmwd.com/watersystem.html

Reactions: Americancichlids

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
Here is what I found, looks like both ozonation and chloramine are used as disinfectants, nitrate is low (in the 1-2ppm range), phosphate is below 0.05ppm and alkalinity (the ability of your water to buffer acids like fish urine) is 104 ppm (good)
and pH averages around 8, perfect for Central American and African cichlids.
http://www.mckinneytexas.org/waterreport

I consider the link below the best, click on the water quality tab, at the top of the page
www.ntmwd.com/watersystem.html
Thank you Duanes, I have some Prime so I will carry out a WC later today with tap! With the extra fish ATM It's probably good to have 2 WC a week

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I totally agree with duanes. Contacting your water supplier is a good idea, so you know what your are working with. If you are worried, fill up Rubbermaid garbage(clean/unused) cans with water; add prime and aerate for 24hrs. Then take a Ph reading and check nutrients levels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store