How to pronounce Motaguense

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
I had a conversation recently with someone from Brazil about how to pronounce the word pacu. On River Monsters and several videos on YouTube they all emphasize the A like packu, but in Portuguese they emphasize the U more like pakoo. In Spanish its actually spelled pacú with an accent mark over the u to denote the emphasis. I'm still not entirely sure how to pronounce the first syllable though, is it "pah" or "pack"?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I say pah-koo.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I always figure if the fishes name is based on a place in the new world south of the US border, such as motaguense (Rio Motagua) or managuense (Lago Managua), the way it would be pronounced would follow the Spanish alphabetical sounds, where each vowel sounds out, the way it would in spanish.
This is why if you write managuense, it might sound mahn ah gwen say.
If you write it as managuensis, mahn ah gwen sis (seez)

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
I always figure if the fishes name is based on a place in the new world south of the US border, such as motaguense (Rio Motagua) or managuense (Lago Managua), the way it would be pronounced would follow the Spanish alphabetical sounds, where each vowel sounds out, the way it would in spanish.
This is why if you write managuense, it might sound mahn ah gwen say.
If you write it as managuensis, mahn ah gwen sis (seez)
That confused me, when aquanero replied to my pronunciation for the Jaguar cichlid Mana Gwen sis I was wondering how you get that from Managuense. What's up with that?_ does it have two scientific names or did they change it?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Don't know about the sis-um-e derivations, but
in Latin, as in Spanish, there aren't silent vowels, that's why if its written managuense or motaguense, the last e is pronouced as in long a as "they"
I must admit some of my favorites are names like Ptychchromis or Ctenochromis where the P and the C are silent.
Ptychochromis = Tie koh chrome is (the is = eez or iss)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Cool thread dovii annoys me too, I say doe-vee ive heard doe-vee-eye which I hate prob correct tho, also doe-veye

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Here's a good one,buttikoferi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store