Cichlid diets

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
What's wrong with feeding them a combination of pellets and live? But....if you want to just go the live route, then breed your own worms and crickets. Both are super easy to breed. Worms eats veggies so your fish will be getting their greens via that route, and if you feed your crickets quality fish pellets, like NLS, they'll be getting all the benefits of that when they consume the crickets.
So theoretically if I feed the worms veggies and crickets pellets then a motaguense could live off just them?

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I buy the night crawlers I use them as bait for bluegill when I fish, but I read they are 100% safe for cichlids just have to rinse them. And I haven't tried crickets but my LFS sells crickets and I might try those too. And some veggies. I would love to get them off pellets and feed them varied, and fresh foods if it can be healthy and not mess up the water quality I only have a few fish mouths to feed so the cost is not going to be a big deal. Especially if they can have lots of worms and crickets (live foods) because I would for sure try and breed them!
I feed my oscar meal worms, which are about the easiest thing ever to culture. I keep them in a tupperware container with oat bran and a half of a potato, under the tank hood, the light keeps them warm so they grow fast. I throw in scraps from veggies when I cook, like squash ends, green beans, and broccoli stems. When the out bran is exhausted, I strain the worms and beetles out of the media with a sieve, and I have only done that once (two days ago) after 6 months of feeding.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So theoretically if I feed the worms veggies and crickets pellets then a motaguense could live off just them?
Overall crickets are a piss poor source of nutrients, lacking in many of the essential vitamins & minerals. Both of the foods mentioned in this discussion are fine as supplements, but should never be considered as a sole means of supplying nutrients to ones fish - even if they are gut loaded prior to feeding. Not all the nutrients will have the same bioavailability to a fish once they have been processed by a cricket or worm.

Nutrient levels found in the average cricket purchased at your LFS.....

http://bigcricketfarms.com/images/Big_Cricket_Farms_Frozen_Crickets_Bulk.pdf

To understand what nutrients a typical finfish requires:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/x5738e/x5738e08.htm

As far as nightcrawlers.....

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/publications/worm/worm.html

"Earthworms as Food or Feed Supplements
Approximate analysis of earthwoms was completed by Dr. Carl Cater in the Oilseed Products Laboratory at Texas A&M. He reported that on the samples tested moisture (volatile) averaged 80.44%. A further analysis of freeze-dried earthworms indicated the following components: oil 6.8-7.1%, nitrogen 10.6 - 11.0%, protein 66.2 - 68.6% and ash 9.3 - 9.7%. This would indicate that on whole, live earthworms are less than 14% protein. Therefore its use as food or a feed supplement would probably be limited. It should be noted that the freeze-dried product (after water is removed) compares favorably with defatted soy flour from the standpoint of amino acid availability. Further research may lead to the use of earthworms as a food supplement but this use is at best only a potential market."

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00240919

Abstract
"Whole frozen earthworms (Eisenia foetida) were evaluated as a partial replacement for commercial pellets for rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Earthworms were ‘blanched’ and treated with concentrated sodium chloride (10%). Fish were submitted to four treatments: control fish were fed with a commercial diet and three groups of fish were fed with diets partially supplemented with earthworms. All fish showed the same appetite for the earthworm-supplemented diets as for the control diet during the course of the experiment (8 weeks). No significant differences (p > 0.05) were detected in the mean final body weights of all groups of fish. A significant decrease was found in the whole-carcass lipid content of fish fed diets containing 25%, 50% and 75% frozen earthworms. The results on growth rate and feed utilization efficiency of fish fed diets containing high levels of whole frozen worms suggested an adverse effect of worm incorporation, probably due to dietary energy/protein imbalance."

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I buy the night crawlers I use them as bait for bluegill when I fish, but I read they are 100% safe for cichlids just have to rinse them. And I haven't tried crickets but my LFS sells crickets and I might try those too. And some veggies. I would love to get them off pellets and feed them varied, and fresh foods if it can be healthy and not mess up the water quality I only have a few fish mouths to feed so the cost is not going to be a big deal. Especially if they can have lots of worms and crickets (live foods) because I would for sure try and breed them!
Those foods are fine. Its just buying live feeder fish is bad. The staple should always be a quality pellet with adding a little other foods here and there. But for some a veggie diet is better like say a syn. My syn mostly eats algae wafers. Speaking of that I am excited my new salvini, t. aureus, and t. meeki are eating algae wafers too.

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
Those foods are fine. Its just buying live feeder fish is bad. The staple should always be a quality pellet with adding a little other foods here and there. But for some a veggie diet is better like say a syn. My syn mostly eats algae wafers. Speaking of that I am excited my new salvini, t. aureus, and t. meeki are eating algae wafers too.
Salvini are amazing fish! The one I had was so cool! I have a firemouth right now I got him from a friend who got out of the hobby. I'm debating whether to keep him because all the fish in my 55 are young but he is with a carpintis two convicts (also got them from friend) and a flowerhorn. And my 75 is just for my Motaguense. They can probably all fit if I move one convict and flowerhorn, my carp is a female. Anyway idk why I went on about that^ but anyways I think cichlids eat a lot more vegitation than we think. I noticed my carpintis eating some of the alage on the driftwood.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Overall crickets are a piss poor source of nutrients, lacking in many of the essential vitamins & minerals. Both of the foods mentioned in this discussion are fine as supplements, but should never be considered as a sole means of supplying nutrients to ones fish - even if they are gut loaded prior to feeding. Not all the nutrients will have the same bioavailability to a fish once they have been processed by a cricket or worm.
This is what I was thinking. I'd think the fish would get more from eating the pellets straight I strafing eating the pellets after being digested by crickets.

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
My year old 11" Oscar is healthy wealthy and wise and I feed him a mix of hikari pellets and live food. Crickets, nightcrawlers, ants, spiders, moths (he loves them) and flies. When he was 2-4" long I fed him nothing but tadpoles from my pond and he loved it. As long as you keep the diet mixed with the pellets and don't go too long on one thing, your fish shouldn't get too dependent on anything.

Honesty, I think people tend to get a little too paranoid when it comes to live food and as a result stick to only pellets and look down on live food.

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
This is what I was thinking. I'd think the fish would get more from eating the pellets straight I strafing eating the pellets after being digested by crickets.
Off topic but what part of Texas you from? I'm from the Dallas Area and the only good store around is the fish gallery! And are the cichlid clubs any good? ( or any you know of?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store