Jack dempseys are no joke..

Cheifwalnut

Candiru
MFK Member
May 31, 2015
Schoharie New York
I know this may seem taboo to some people but last night I decided that it might make things easier if I put a fish that already takes pellets in with my pumpkinseed and largemouth to get them onto pellets faster. The only fish of similar size that I have is a Jack Dempsey, I didn't think anything of it as bass and pumpkinseeds are generally able to hold their own... I set the Dempsey in at around 9pm and monitored for aggression until about 11pm and then went to bed. I woke up at 5am this morning and checked how everyone was doing as usual. The lights were still off.(my timer turns them on at 7am) I saw three dark fish shaped figures in the tank and went on to work. I got home at around 10am due to getting rained out. Well I came home to very, I mean very very, tore up fish. The only fish alive in the tank was my Dempsey. I was shocked to say the least, that my "little" juvenile JD tore apart not one, but two equally sized fish, without one single mark on him.. To all the people who are convinced that JD's are wimps. Please reconsider

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Dempsey can be brutal. i have had a little 4" female corner my 13" oscar.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
nothing new there, how long in new tank?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
if they going to pair will be the female makes the move. she will test him, lip locking and the such.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
give em a few weeks in the tank, large cichlids fine not eating for 2 to 3 weeks, they like to pout, offer then pull out if not taken.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
My male made the move on the female, but put a second female in the tank and all hell breaks loose. Bonded female is a blur from one side of tank to the other in a 36" 40B. She'll stop on a dime inches from the new female and give the other female usually only one chance to retreat (but where?) Then its get my hand in there and take the hits till I can get her netted and out.
That was without eggs or fry in the tank.

Now that there's fry all over the place, I can't even put my hand 3 inches above the water when adding fry food without Pride flying out and nailing my fingers.
He's 9" now... can't wait to see what he'll do if he ever reaches 12" (I'm hoping... and I'm gonna be crazy (stupid) enough to find out.:eek:

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store