Went fish(collecting)ing today

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I went fishing in a new in a place where the river I live by collided into the other local river. I was still fishing in my river just farther away from home. There were sooo many nice green x pumpkinseed hybrids all in their breeding colors, they had the orangest fins I'd ever seen but I wasn't planning on taking one home since I already have two of those bosses in my tank. I did catch a nice pumpkinseed that was bigger than the ones I catch by my house so I put it in the bucket. Then we moved to a different spot since my friend wanted to catch bass. It was like his first cast and he reels in the biggest pikeminnow I've ever seen (out of like 10 lol) it was over a foot and I put it in the bucket too haha. There were more hybrids on their nests where we were fishing and they were beautiful but I wouldn't keep one. Then after a while I checked on the fish and the pikeminnow was upside down so I took him out and resuscitated it and it swam off it was a bummer but it was the for the best. Then we went back to where we started and my friend caught what he said was pumpkinseed so I said put it in the bucket and I'll check it out. I must've grabbed the wrong fish since I said "yup that's a pumpkinseed" then we agreed that we needed one more pseed then we'd leave since it was like 100 degrees. I caught one like 5 minutes later then we loaded up and went home. Once we got back to my house I put the fish in the tank (not my main tank the holding tank for new fish) and noticed we had 2 pseeds and one hybrid green x pseed. I was mad haha but overall it was a good day of fishing. image.jpgimage.jpg The two sores on the fishes back in the bottom picture were the same thing I found on the pumpkinseed I caught this summer and my river, I took them out with tweezers and they should heal in the next week or 2 with no problem. I found 3 of those worms and 3 leaches on the new fish all of which were removed and killed .

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I did not realize how long that was lol. We went fishing in this pond a few hours later for largemouth. It seems like wherever you can catch largemouth there's also bluegill and mosquito fish. That was the case today haha. I caught 30-40 mosquito fish with my hands and a few bluegill including the biggest one I've ever caught! It's back was almost flush with its face. It had a hook stuck in its mouth from someone before me and I removed it and let it for, I would've kept it if I had my bucket but I only brought the gallon container, rookie move I know.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
The quality went to crap when I uploaded it to YouTube. It wouldn't let me upload it as a normal file either but I'll try again.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice catches man! How many sunfish do you have at this point?

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Nice catches man! How many sunfish do you have at this point?
Too many haha 6 juveniles and 10 bigger fish. They all get along within their respected tanks besides the occasional territorial dispute. I don't know what I'll do with that hybrid I got yesterday since they get pretty big compared to the pseeds around here. So the final plan is a school a pseeds, 2 hybrids (green x pseed), that mystery hybrid (green x blue is still my guess), the bluegill, and one pure green. The greens are still like 2-3" so it'll be awhile and 3 of the pseeds are in the 75 growing tank. I imagine the green and the pseeds will all be stunted so it won't be a bunch of 8" fish in there. The hybrids and the bluegill are all 3 the same size pretty much. I'll have to start buying pellets in bulk!

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Anthony, are you familiar with Harvey Creek or Kentucky Falls basins? They are tribs to the north umpqua closer to the coast, and I did some extensive GIS work on LiDAR data comparing valley width and channel gradient between the two basins, one above a waterfall (restricting channel incision, maintains meander and wide valleys) looking at suitability for cutthroat habitat.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Anthony, are you familiar with Harvey Creek or Kentucky Falls basins? They are tribs to the north umpqua closer to the coast, and I did some extensive GIS work on LiDAR data comparing valley width and channel gradient between the two basins, one above a waterfall (restricting channel incision, maintains meander and wide valleys) looking at suitability for cutthroat habitat.
I'm more of a south umpqua guy but I've never heard of those places. I've actually used GIS before but it was a class not looking for fish haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store