GHOST KNIFE PAIR UPDATE

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Did you bought only two of them ?
If yes you are lucky that you got a pair.
Very interesting fishes.
I have heard storys that they go for the eyes of the other fishes sometimes.
That is why i didnt bought them.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
If I had a pair that ever really showed signs of courting, I'd move all the egg predators somewhere else. you'd really have something special there!

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
If I had a pair that ever really showed signs of courting, I'd move all the egg predators somewhere else. you'd really have something special there!
Im defnity not mo
Im not really interested in raising ghost knife fry, they have very little value. Definitly not a fish i would want a bunch of fry from. Im just happy to be able to have two in the same tank and watching them interact.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Im defnity not mo

Im not really interested in raising ghost knife fry, they have very little value. Definitly not a fish i would want a bunch of fry from. Im just happy to be able to have two in the same tank and watching them interact.
It wouldn't be for money, for the achievement. I only know of one or two captive spawning by hobbyists (not in asia with hormone-inducements) and it is quite fascinating. the one I know for sure of, I believe the owner killed fry by interfering and trying to save a couple.
but I understand your point.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
It wouldn't be for money, for the achievement. I only know of one or two captive spawning by hobbyists (not in asia with hormone-inducements) and it is quite fascinating. the one I know for sure of, I believe the owner killed fry by interfering and trying to save a couple.
but I understand your point.
After years of breeding fish i have come to realize there is no real achievement in breeding fish you dont want or fish that wont really sell, because when you end up with tanks full of fry that you dont want and cant sell the achievement feels like failure. Thats the main reason i dont keep cichlids anymore. The store that i sell most my stuff to would only buy a couple because they usually house them in seperate tanks, not a lot of folks looking to buy them and every store in my area sells them pretty cheap even petsmart. Could use them for food but by the time you raise them to a size to be feeders you could have bought food. So for now im cool with my adonis (who is one of my all time favorite fish) eating the eggs.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I disagree that financial profit defines what is, or is not, an achievement.
Large-scale operations with hormone-induced spawning create profit, but that is all.
Most those offspring are killed, between shipping, terribly incorrect conditions that buyers introduce them into, etc.
I'd feel like a million bucks to spawn and raise knife fry on my own, because it would be Rare.
They'd certainly meet no worse end than the mass market producers. and would sure be better appreciated!
I have no objection to your view though, with your own fish. whatever floats your boat!
I also would appreciate the entertainment of watching a compatible pair play around in tank. that is cool. I love the beauty of how knives move through the water.
The only problem is that mine LOVES caviar like a total maniac. No eggs survive more than one day in his tank. He has even learned to watch pre-spawning cichlid behavior like a hawk. and he is too big to move to my other tanks.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
Its not about financial profit i dont want more ghost knives, the store will only take a few, and there are not people in my area who really want them. You dont have to make profits but you do have to be able to get rid of the fish. Not enough peope here are interested in them so there is no point in breeding them if i dont plan on keeping them. You would feel like a million bucks but for me it would just be a headache. I have been stuck with fry so long before that they started breeding(hatian cichlid being one) Everyone has fish they would want to breed but you have to do something with the fry. Im no longer into breeding without a purpose it can really become more hassle than fun.

Bubbles_n_worms

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
New hampshire
That is so beautiful ! Loved that video! Here's my weirdo...lol...(bubbles) this is where and how he sleeps, he is paired with a brown ghost knifefish...

image.jpg

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store