450 gallon bracing recommendation

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
Hey guys I am looking to finish up a 450 gallon acrylic build 10x3x2 tall and made a mistake. I have the bottom, front, back, and both sides installed, but I accidentally had the lid cut to fit inside the rim of the tank and not on top. Any ideas on how I can brace the top with this smaller sheet? Maybe euro bracing? This is an acrylic aquarium. Top and bottom in 1/2" and the rest in 3/4". Any help would be great thanks

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
If it was me, with a build of that size and expense I would order another top piece and try and use the small one for another project. It sucks losing $300 but will be worth it in the long run.

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
If it was me, with a build of that size and expense I would order another top piece and try and use the small one for another project. It sucks losing $300 but will be worth it in the long run.
You are probably right. I was thinking about cutting 3 pieces out of the larger one that would be roughly 34 inches wide and fit the width of the tank. I was going to put one on the left middle and right sides of the tank. That would only leave about two places that would be open on the top that would each be about 1.5 feet wide. So it would go from left to right on top: 34 inch wide brace, 1.5ft opening, 34 inch brace, 1.5ft opening, 34 inch brace. Might that be ok?

catfish_master

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2015
Northern Minnesota
Acrylic is pretty strong when bonded together but I would order a new top. Once you have it up and running if anything happens it would be devastating. The $300 or so is worth it, do it right do it once.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store