RIP

pckts

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
long beach Cali
My green istlantum died today,.

I week ago I noticed him struggling for air and upside down, I changed my media and cleaned my filters.
He instantly was better, he was eating more than ever and active.
This lasted a week then I did a water change yesterday and came home from dinner and he was once again upside down and really laboring for breath. When he would try and swim it was as if he was a ballon drifting through the air. (unbalanced and unsteady)

Nitrates seemed ok, water is very was very hard, not sure how that effects cichlids. I added some conditioner and medication but to no avail. Found him dead this morning.
He was between 5-6 and probably 11''-12'' long and heavy.
Couldn't believe how heavy he was.

Anyway, RIP Stephen, you will be missed.

Ruck Fules

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Garage
I've seen this beast from your old threads. The same exact thing happened to mine at that age and size. It ate and was normal the night before, next morning, it acted that way and died.

If you want another Istlanum, joefatfish is bringing wild caught ones. Maybe he's brought it back already.

pckts

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
long beach Cali
I've seen this beast from your old threads. The same exact thing happened to mine at that age and size. It ate and was normal the night before, next morning, it acted that way and died.

If you want another Istlanum, joefatfish is bringing wild caught ones. Maybe he's brought it back already.
How strange, what a weird event to go through. I wonder what happened.
Im in the process of moving to a house so once that happens I'm going to get a larger tank and then order a few more.
Not sure if Im going with Istlantum again or something else, thanks for the info though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store