Diamond Piranha

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I saw some sun light in your picture, is your tank near open window?
Try to dim your light or cover your tank back and sides.
Piranha not a picky eater so it doesn't want to eat for 10 days then you should checking your water parameters, raise temp a bit higher and add some salts.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Cover your tank back and sides until it established then slowly cut open the sides cover bit by bit each week until you can safely remove the cover, since your tank in well lid room then your don't need to turn on or use your tank light for now.
Depend on each fish personality I used to have a shoal of Piranha and every time I turn on the light they all freaked out and go in hiding mode and didn't change they behave after 2 years...I sold them all and I'm not regret, never look back into keeping Piranha again!

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
So I covered the sides of my tank (the back was already done), and I checked the water parameters and they are all great. The temp is currently at 27C or 81F depending on where you are located. I have tried putting a small piece of fresh tilapia in his tank at night before I leave the room, so that he not disturbed. When I go to check in the morning the tilapia appears not to have been touched. Now I should add that this rhom was apparently wild caught if that means anything to his transition. But with that being said I have had many WC cichlid and I have never had this issue getting them to eat.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If you worry about its health then try to give its a live feeder and if its goes after the feeder right away then you might need feed it live to regain some strength then start train it to your daily refer diet.
*Note some wild caught species won't eat anything except live stock but very rare that to happen with piranha species.

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
if your tank is in a well lit room then there's no need to intentionally cover up the tank as it'll have to readjust again. all my tanks are in well lit and they are all eating fine.
it's still adjusting to it's new home, some fish takes longer than other, there's no need to try so many different things within short period of time, you'll only stress the fish out more. if you have been feeding daily without success then stop feeding for a week, don't even bother the fish during that time, you can look at it if you want to but constantly dropping food in and taking uneaten food out will only prolong the time it needed for the fish to adjust.
after no feeding for a week then drop something in, if it eats then that's great, if not then try again few days to a week later. eventually it'll start to eat. the most important advise I can give you when it comes to piranha... especially serra species is "patient"
based on the picture you posted it wasn't starved so it can easily go weeks or even months without feeding....some rhom will go on fasting from time to time, usually when they are larger

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
That's a very nice diamond, how big is it?

BTW id listen to JP, he's very knowledgeable when it comes to piranhas.

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
all ready did.

I took of the covers and I leave for vacation today for a week. I will try feeding when I get back.

By the way JP do you feed pellet? if not, what do you mostly feed?

lightsout

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2015
Amazon
Its always to good thing to mix it up, I feed my diamond salmon, tilapia, raw shrimp, and silversides....You can even stuff anyone of these meals with pellets to get better results.

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
all ready did.

I took of the covers and I leave for vacation today for a week. I will try feeding when I get back.

By the way JP do you feed pellet? if not, what do you mostly feed?
I don't feed pellet, i just feed small whole fish or whatever white fish is available at grocery stores, if too large then I just cut it up to small size but leave all the bones, fins, scales on. this way the fish can exercise the jaw a bit.
if you do feed pellet, I would recommend not over feed, especially if you are going to stuff regular food with pellet. Pellet packs a lot of nutrient for it's size and people tend to feed a lot because it doesn't "fill up" the fish as normal food would do, think of pellet as concentrated food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store