Texas Cichlid Spawning Question

Lost2301

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
Hi, I am new to the forum. I recently purchased 4 Texas cichlid's and put them in a 55 tank just to watch them. They also have 4 clown loach's for friends. Well 3 of them formed a pack harassed the 4th until I took it out of the tank. I soon discovered the they had spawned. It looks like all of 3 of them spawned together. Is this normal to have 3 fish spawn together? I have seen all three of them hover over the fry at the same time. Right now they are spending a lot of time trying to harass the clown loach's who are to fast for them. They have dug pits all over the tank, but the fry are basically hanging out in a large pit and are free swimming now. I have been feeding them baby brine shrimp and they seem to eat it. I have also tried grinding up flake food, but do not know if they are eating any of it.

I had to laugh at one of the Texas cichlid's, it attacked a clone loach from above, it was massive speed attack and the clown loach moved, the Texas went head first right into the gravel! All of their attacks now are lightning quick. The loach's have places they can hid if they want.

Well anyway I was wondering if anyone else has seen 3 cichlid's spawning together?

Thanks,

Mike

Lost2301

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
Convicts but not Texas. That's kinda cool you should post a video.
I am not sure how to do a video, but the parents brought the fry down to my corner of the tank. So I snapped some photo's of them. I hope this works ok. Not sure how to load photo's on this site.

Mike
IMG_8737.JPG IMG_8739.JPG

IMG_8740.JPG

IMG_8741.JPG

IMG_8743.JPG

Reactions: convict360

Lost2301

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
One of the adults was showing the fry how to eat algae off of one of the logs. The fry were right there nipping at the algae. They are fun to watch.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Threesome in the fish world...cool! Pairs form a bond and will try to chase off or even kill anything that comes close to their offsprings. Very unusual to have three get along like that.

The strangest for me was having two females spawn and failed.

Lost2301

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
Well the love affair appears to be over. All 3 adults were fine around 2pm and by 6pm one of them had the snot kicked out of it. Not sure which one it is. I am thinking its the male, but I had to save it from the other two! Not sure what to do with it right now, no tanks available for it. I had no trouble catching it. The babies seem to be ok.

I wonder if I had 2 males instead of 2 females. 1 of the remaining 2 is now turning darker in the front half of it. That's was the 1st male did?

Lost2301

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
Well the love affair appears to be over. All 3 adults were fine around 2pm and by 6pm one of them had the snot kicked out of it. Not sure which one it is. I am thinking its the male, but I had to save it from the other two! Not sure what to do with it right now, no tanks available for it. I had no trouble catching it. The babies seem to be ok.

I wonder if I had 2 males instead of 2 females. 1 of the remaining 2 is now turning darker in the front half of it. That's was the 1st male did?
The remaining two TC have spawned again about 40 days after the first spawn. This time there are more then I can count. There is a cloud of them swimming all over the place now. What to do with them?

IMG_0157.JPG

Reactions: convict360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store