Electric Current in tank - where is it coming from?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
So I was doing a water change today and I had a small cut on my pinky finger. When I put my finger into the tank it stung, and stung each time and took my hand out and put back in. I immediately thought the heater was the culprit and removed the heater. But it continued to shot me each time! The only other things in the water are the intake and out take for a fluval 406 and api filstar 3 each. Also, there are a couple of plastic tubing with airstones.

I am not sure what else could be causing this? I am concerned it is affecting my fish, although they all act normal and eat well.

I have seen many thread / comments about this and want to know your guys opinion. Thank you!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Could be salt creep from your lights, too. You started the job, now finish it. Unplug one item at a time on your tank. When you stop getting shocked you've just unplugged the culprit.

Reactions: gomezladdams

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Could be salt creep from your lights, too. You started the job, now finish it. Unplug one item at a time on your tank. When you stop getting shocked you've just unplugged the culprit.
Sir Yes Sir! but I shouldnt have to unplug the filters right? I dont think they would be able to conduct current through the plastic intake and outakes?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Yes the water in the pipes will conduct it if the filter is the problem.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because the fish aren't grounded, they are not overtly affected.
There is a theory that stray current does cause stress over time and leads to disease.
You can put a titanium grounding probe in the tank that "removes" the stray current, I have them on several tanks, where the stray came from lights, pumps are also occasionally problematic.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
To be on the safe side in the future you might want to consider adding a GFCI receptacle, or breaker, upstream - as well as a grounding probe in your tank.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Do you only feel it on the cut finger? I have a water softener that does the same thing to me. If I have any kind of cut the salt in the water makes it feel like I am getting shocked, when in reality it`s just the salt tingling my nerves.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Do you only feel it on the cut finger? I have a water softener that does the same thing to me. If I have any kind of cut the salt in the water makes it feel like I am getting shocked, when in reality it`s just the salt tingling my nerves.
This was my thought... I wonder why you would only feel it on the cut finger? You could test this easily enough by scooping some tank water into a cup and sticking your finger in there...

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Because the fish aren't grounded, they are not overtly affected.
There is a theory that stray current does cause stress over time and leads to disease.
You can put a titanium grounding probe in the tank that "removes" the stray current, I have them on several tanks, where the stray came from lights, pumps are also occasionally problematic.
ACTUALLY NO!!
The stray VOLTAGE is then shorted to ground as long as the lead from the probe is grounded properly.
The stray CURRENT must still flow from the source providing it, to the probe itself, and this still means the water in the tank is conducting the current.
What the probe does is provides a SAFE Path for the current to flow to ground rather than to flow up the arm, through, the heart, out the other arm (if it is grounded) or down and out the feet if your floor just happens to be wet.
It does not fix the problem... it only minimizes the danger. It is still best to find the faulty device and either have it repaired or replaced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store