Tank smell

Southjerseycichlidz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
I use the old school box filter and my tanks started to smell I just added some carbon and that seemed to help a lot

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
aquarium water should have a earthy smell like xracer stated only time it will not smell earthy is during feedings.

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Not just "an earth smell" but a subtly sweet, or fresh earthy smell.
Any brown or soft yellowy leaves, get em out!!
Any excess food (especially worms) get em out!! Don't EVER let earthworms burrow into your gravel. Cut both ends off before feeding so they can't burrow. Earthworms can drown, and ROT very easily.
Overcrowded fish??? Get em out!! Bigger or another tank? Give to friends? Trade in at LFS? You name it, but get em out!!!
Tank water should almost tempt you to drink it! LOL

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Tank water should almost tempt you to drink it! LOL
Several months ago, I slightly over filled my 180 during a w/c, so I had to siphon some water out. Used a short hose, and yeap, got a mouth full! Water actually didn't taste fishy at all, but rather just like plain water, so I guess my 50% w/c every 3 days is effective :) However, there was one time when I was around 12 years old and was doing my monthly w/c and got a mouth full and the water was pure nastiness in taste....I still grimace at this recollection and remembering the taste of that tank water :confused:

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Several months ago, I slightly over filled my 180 during a w/c, so I had to siphon some water out. Used a short hose, and yeap, got a mouth full! Water actually didn't taste fishy at all, but rather just like plain water, so I guess my 50% w/c every 3 days is effective :) However, there was one time when I was around 12 years old and was doing my monthly w/c and got a mouth full and the water was pure nastiness in taste....I still grimace at this recollection and remembering the taste of that tank water :confused:
And your poor fish were always in it. Glad you improved your methods.

<{{@>< <{{@>< XOXOX ><€}}> ><€}}>

Your fish thank you!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
An

And your poor fish were always in it. Glad you improved your methods.

<{{@>< <{{@>< XOXOX ><€}}> ><€}}>

Your fish thank you!
That was about 32 years ago, so I hope I learned something since that time LOL

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
I
Same as ehh, I have about 20 tanks running, I can't smell anything, and I don't use any extra stuff, just plenty of water changes.
i do 2x water changes a week. However, I did move the fact ms so that is most likely the reason of the smell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store