Heaters....

tonysdiscus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2006
holiday,florida
Hi everyone, I have a 450g tank and wanted to know what is everyone using as far as heaters now a days? I been out the hobby for a few years and just got back into it this week. Tank is up and running but haven't decided on a heater, temps will need tto be in the 80-82 range since it will have Discus. TIA
-Tony

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Never heard of any one having a problem with eheim Jagar heaters.
Have also heard good things about the fluval heaters, but they seem to be less comonly sold. (at least around where I am they are).

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Hope you find a good heater :) I think 80-82 is kinda cool imho, I've found most keep Discus at around 84. Actually I think my fish seem happier at 85 86 even. Just food for thought, good luck and keep us posted!

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Hope you find a good heater :) I think 80-82 is kinda cool imho, I've found most keep Discus at around 84. Actually I think my fish seem happier at 85 86 even. Just food for thought, good luck and keep us posted!
+1^^^^^ kept my discus at 84 too. Bred them at 86-88.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Never heard of any one having a problem with eheim Jagar heaters.
There's actually been plenty of threads/posts of people with failed Eheim Jager heaters on this forum. It appears they are no longer built with the same quality they did in the past

Reactions: mudbuttjones

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Get a good heater controller.

Id say at the very least 900w. Especially if you are keeping discus in the mid 80°s.

You can always set the controller at 86° and the heaters at 88° should the main thermostat fail, the tank shouldn't go over 88°

I'm assuming the tank that large is in the basement or garage? How is the room heated? How cold does the ambient temp around the tank get?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store