sunfish and bichirs

nako

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2015
I'm new to these guys. I ended up with a Senegal bichir and am looking for tank mates once the bichir out grows its tank. Currently in a 29g but will be moving to a 60g once the bichirs out grows the 29g. Mayby pumpkin seed sunfish and others of the like? It also seems that bichirs get along with multiple bichirs in the tank, is this true for life or just when they are young? any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sunfish are temperate water fish no heatrr needed. I wouldnt mix the two species

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
I'm new to these guys. I ended up with a Senegal bichir and am looking for tank mates once the bichir out grows its tank. Currently in a 29g but will be moving to a 60g once the bichirs out grows the 29g. Mayby pumpkin seed sunfish and others of the like? It also seems that bichirs get along with multiple bichirs in the tank, is this true for life or just when they are young? any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Bichirs are good for life. Problem with most sunfish is if they're too small they'll be eaten/harassed or they're big enough to peck at a bichir. Much like a aggressive cichlid in general. It can be done but IMO not worth the hassle.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
I have a green, bluegill and warmouth in with my bichirs. Never had any issues. The green is by far the most aggressive, but he keeps to his "nest" on the one side of the 125. His aggression is basically to nudge them out of the way. Of course, my bichirs are all 10"+ (ornate, endli, congi, teug, palmas polli), but I did have the same fish in with some smaller 7" senegals and still had no problem.

I would say as long as the tank is big enough, they can be good tank mates. Just don't go with the massive poly species with the smaller sunfish ones. endli/lap would go well with bluegill, but anything around the size of a green, pumpkinseed, etc. should be kept with smaller poly species. But not too small.... like senegals. lol

Looking back at your tank/stock though, your tank isn't really big enough for a sunfish anyway, so I'd steer away.

nako

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2015
thanks for the info, I'm leaning toward cichlids... so long sunfish dream... ;(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store