Red eye puffer

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
I recently bought a pr of red eye puffers for a 180 low tech plant tank . The 180 was for my Mbu but sadly to say I lost him not sure what happen had fed in morning and died next day so I changed to plant tank and felt the need for a puffer I guess. I picked up a pr of German blue Rams and a couple siamensis lot more room for more fish looking for recomendations
Thanks
Was told there are two types and this type is not aggressive

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I recently bought a pr of red eye puffers for a 180 low tech plant tank . The 180 was for my Mbu but sadly to say I lost him not sure what happen had fed in morning and died next day so I changed to plant tank and felt the need for a puffer I guess. I picked up a pr of German blue Rams and a couple siamensis lot more room for more fish looking for recomendations
Thanks
Was told there are two types and this type is not aggressive
Not sure where you got that info, but there are a few red eyed puffer species (im pretty sure more than 2), and like most puffers, they can be very aggressive...

Anyway, since you have a large tank for them, i'm going to say aggression might be kept down, but i wouldn't say any other fish you put in are safe either, since as you probably know by now, puffers have quite sharp teeth capable of doing damage if they catch hold of something... so whatever you place in there with them will be completely your call... But i would advise you to definitely stay away from fish with long flowing fins...

Wiccandove

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2015
Red eye puffers are pretty aggressive, even though your tank is large I would be very wary about adding to it. Personally I would stick to a species only tank - it's said ottos and the smaller puffers can usually live just fine together but my C. Lorteti killed every one.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Adding to the above post, C.irrubessco is claimed to be the most chilled of the Red Eye species, but you can still expect certain levels of aggression...

And I think it was the C.Salviator Puffer that was most agressivse red eye, rarely tolerating even their own species...

KnownToSome

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2017
The Lorteti are actually the most aggressive dwarf red eye puffer, it's the red eye red tail Carinotetraodon Irrubesco that is the "chill" one lol the Lorteti are often misidentified as Irrubescos, the females in particular, but they (Lorteti) are extremely aggressive, more so then any Carinotetraodon (Travacoricus, and the rest have red eyes: Irrubesco, Borneesis, and Salivator. Pea puffs are the only one available since 2015 in the states anyway).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store