Favorite Canister Filter, For 55gal and beyond? GO!

nako

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2015
So I'm thinking of switching to a canister filter. I have always used the over the side ones but canister filters seem to be the way to go once you hit 55gal. What is your favorite brand and why? I have been looking at reviews all day and I can't make heads or tails of it. all of the reviews are mostly split, for all of the ones I have been looking at.

API Nexx (I like that you can add more canisters if needed, that the canisters can be removed for cleaning while the filter still runs, but it seems it leaks... But I dont know if that is user error or actual flaw.)
Fluval (Seems to be solid but PRICEY)
Cascade700 (On the small side gph wise but still a bit pricey)
I don't want to shell out a ton of cash for unreliable performance. If there is a lesser know brand like sunsun (Just throwing that out there) that is awesome and cheap I'm really ok with that!

thomeski

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
Butler NJ
Eheim its the way to go, best there is. Im using rena lately and i can say only positives. Tons of flow and media

nako

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for the info so far! Please keep the info coming!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Eheim 2217, solid, well built filter. Good up to a 75g if you use with a ac110 hob, great combo.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I like eheims but imo for a 55 you should just go wuth an ac110. Tons of flow and a large medai chamber. I run only 1 on a 75 gal thats pretty well stocked. Your could always had a small sponge filter too

triggered

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
australia
I have had fluval canisters from 305 thru to the fx5 over the years and have always been more than happy with the results I have gotten from them... I did at one point buy a new sunsun Canister... I only had it running for 6-10 months but never had any issues in that time... I would however suggest if you do go for a cheaper option filter get the next size or so up from the recommendation for your tank size as the do tend to not put out their said lph like the $$ brand name filters do..

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Edit

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store