Please Help *Por Favor* Emergency

Solanje

Feeder Fish
Jul 17, 2015
Disclaimer:
I'm new.
I don't know the etiquette. I tried to search for this or something similar and I couldn't find anything that fit.

I have an almost 5 year old Blood Parrot.
I recently moved her into a well established tank (125 gallon) with a Pleco as a tank mate. She showed some aggression at the beginning, but his size seemed to keep her at bay. I think he just intruded on her "nesting" site. This will be the 3rd year in a row she has laid eggs (we ended up removing them before our Oscar dines on them.

125 gallon tank
2 Magnum 350 Canisters
I'm using Biohome
1- 5 yr old Blood Parrot
1-4.5ish year old Pleco
1-5ish year old Oscar (in 36 Gallon waiting to be transferred in to the 125 gallon tank- they were raised together)

August 1
temp 82
Complete Water check on 125 gallon tank
Chlorine-0
Nitrite--0
Nitrate-0
Ammonia-0
pH 7.0
the Pleco had evidence of fin rot when we moved him from a very small 36 gallon into this large tank so I thought it would be wise to treat him with Melafix. I put some StressCoat in because I had not heard about the school of thought where Aloe Vera may not be helpful.

The BP whole body had been quite white in color. I attributed that to the temperature reading which was a little excessive. Within a few hours she was seemingly fine.
The next day I noticed the Blood Parrot was not moving at all, she was laying at the bottom of the tank, her gills were moving rapidly. I gently nudged her wearing my gloves and she moved right away and swam to get a way from me. I created quite the cave for her and corralled her into it. She stayed there maybe a few minutes, then started to go for to far left corner of the tank where the heater is located and began to repeatedly bang into the glass as if trying to escape. I immediately made sure the hospital tank was worthy to have her go in it & further evaluate the situation.

Hospital Tank
chlorine-0
Nitrine-0
Ammonia-.5pmm
Nitrate- 20-30ppm

Added appropriate of Aquarium Salt and put the rest in the large tank.

My concerns are:
The blood parrot -I can do water changes, I have course, medium and fine media in the canisters
And the Pleco-this guy is HUGE. I've clear main thoroughfares so he can navigate without too much trouble.
I'm not familiar with diseases or problems with Plecos, he's been my good boy.

I'll have to start a new thread about the Evil Knevil Oscar I have who's had HITH 3 counter' 3 times!
He's also jumped out of the tank and lasted half hour on the floor.

Sorry for the ramble. it's 5:59 am. Everyone gets up at 6 and I fear I'm going to look in that tank & see a deceased fish.
Please respond asap, I'm not sure if they will allow it, but I think my personal email is in my contact list if we are friends.
Thank you.

I also don't know the etiquette here. I did try to search repeatedly for my topic, but I think perhaps I was too specific.
Please help if you can..

Sol
Goldie
Oscar
Pleco

Some pictures below

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Hi and welcome to MFK. A couple of things, the main tank cat show zero nitrate you have to recheck that. The hospital tank isn't cycled bowing .5 ppm ammonia so you need to do a 50 to 75% water change ASAP. It's possible the combination of melafix and stress coat, coated the gills making breathing diffault. Discontinue that and add an air stone or lower the water level to created more surface agitation, this will improve respiration. Adding one tablespoon of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water will also help it breathe easier.

A complete gravel vacuuming needs to be done during the water cages.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store