tricks on getting rays eating?

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
Hi I am wondering anyone have any good ideas on getting newly imported rays to eat? their previous diets used to be shrimps and worms, but none of them eat any of that in my tank, never had issues with past 50+ rays imported (from same supplier) only this batch seems to be quite odd, been a week and half now, all my other rays eats fine except for this batch of new arrivals. some are in separate tank some are in same tank with my rays, none of the new rays eat?!

water's fine, but ph is 8.2, supplier mentioned they were raised in high ph as well and that I shouldn't worry with that, also relating that I have imported over 50 rays from them in the same PH, I am thinking about adding a RO unit on to my continuous drip system to lower the ph, can I use RO without adding minerals back being as its continuous drip and I don't want to invest in a dosing system.

this batch has 13 BDs 4 P14s, 7 sold, 4 left for sale, and 5 are for myself.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I wonder if they sat longer than usual in there shipping bags? Ammonia poisoning?
Yeah,sounds as if they might be ailing from something....

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah good point, the supplier did mention the transit flight at LV was 100+ degrees where it had to sit for 6 - 8 hours before flying to Canada. I didn't worry much as the water was cooler than my tank when I opened, and water's clear etc. They are on shrimps now except 2 or 3 of them, so its a good sign. but at the same time spoiling my other livestocks because they aren't eating pellets properly now lol.

kevincao

Gambusia
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2009
ontario
by the way, anyone know if seachem garlic guard or garlic oil is safe for stingray? would that enhance their appetite? anyone tried it?

Raynado

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2014
Under the rule of my Wife
Hi Kev,

I encountered a similar issue when I received my Rays from Taiwan (a few yes ago) and was told by the breeder to use a supplement called Mirage Vital. Of course I can't get my hands on the stuff locally, so they've sent me a few bottles and I swear it works. Whatevers in this stuff helps my Rays with appetite issues and they appear more active and healthier. I've been using it for the past 2 yrs.
image.jpg

If you want, send me your address and I'll send a new bottle via express shipping

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store