Another Tank Smell Question

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I have setup a 180g and 75g tank in a small room that is about 170sq ft. but opens up to my kitchen/living room. My wife has a super sensitive nose and has been complaining that there is a foul odor coming from somewhere and believes its the tanks. The tanks have a very light load (1 10in rhom and 1 4in manueli). There isn't any left over food and personally I think the water has the more earthly smell than anything else.

I was thinking of adding carbon but I know the whole argument against it. Could the smell just be from evaporation/humidity? I am running AC110s on the tanks and there is tons of evaporation. Water change schedule is weekly about 40-50% so there should be no reason for any smell.

I know if I had carbon it will just get rid of any smell so was leaning towards that.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I have setup a 180g and 75g tank in a small room that is about 170sq ft. but opens up to my kitchen/living room. My wife has a super sensitive nose and has been complaining that there is a foul odor coming from somewhere and believes its the tanks. The tanks have a very light load (1 10in rhom and 1 4in manueli). There isn't any left over food and personally I think the water has the more earthly smell than anything else.

I was thinking of adding carbon but I know the whole argument against it. Could the smell just be from evaporation/humidity? I am running AC110s on the tanks and there is tons of evaporation. Water change schedule is weekly about 40-50% so there should be no reason for any smell.

I know if I had carbon it will just get rid of any smell so was leaning towards that.
add the carbon

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My wife complained that my aquariums were smelling, found out the smell was coming from the kitchen sink lol so every once in awhile I pour a little bleach down the drain. :) I do light up scented candles when I feed massivore pellets:). Btw I don't use carbon on any of my aquariums.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
If your room well ventilated then you shouldn't get foul smell built up but in any cases the wife already spoke up then better just add carbon even if the smell not coming from your fish tank, its just show her that you're care about her :)

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005

The only way I have had luck with tank smell is do water changes until it goes away. Make sure your filters are clean too. But it doesn't sound like you have tank waste issues. Maybe try air fresheners like glade plug ins.
My wife is picky too, so I feel your pain lol.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Just somewhat frustrating. I have not used carbon in 10+ years and now I need to. I move to AC110s because I hate canister filters. I essentially cut the sponges in half and used the rest of the space for bio media which is going to have to get reduced to incorporate carbon.

Any thoughts on amount of carbon? Seachem claims 250ml per 100g which is alot for the 225g that I have. To replace this every month is going to cost me $15-20 which I feel is a waste. Considering my bioload is so small (1 fish per tank) do I really need that much carbon?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Seachem claims their Matrixcarbon would last several months before its need replace, 1 litter can last 1 year or at least 6 months for the cost of 20 bucks. Also, even with normal brand activated carbon you don't change it out every month, it should last 6~8 weeks.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Are you vacuuming your gravel when you water change? That needs to be done if not. Also like tlindsey mentioned, make sure it's the tank she is smelling. I've had a stinky drain also throw me off too. Have you had your wife stick her nose in the tank to verify that's what she's smelling?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Underneath all sinks is a U shaped tube called a trap.
Most people think it is there to catch rings or coins, which it does.
But what it is really there for, is to stop sewer gas/smells in the pipes from coming into the house. When there is still water in it, that water seal blocks the sewer gas from rising into the house.
Every time you run water, or drain the sink, that moving water temporarily allows a little sewer gas to escape into the house, because the seal is broken.
When I worked for a drinking water supplier, we would get regular calls saying the water had an odor. I would go to the house, and get a glass of water from the tap, and put it under the customers nose, only a slight chlorine oder. Then thy would stick their nose in the sink with the water running, and insist the water smelled of sewage.
Duh

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
It could be a ventilation issue, its a smaller room with one entry point. Ideally an exhaust fan would help a lot but even a oscillating fan may help. I would take a humidity reading.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store