Death to the amphibians

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
I hate/fear frogs. As in, if I see one, I will stay away from it. Unfortunately, there are tadpoles in one of my tubs. I've currently got a betta in there, and hopefully, she's eating all of them. However, are there any good ways to kill off frogs, and keep them away from my tubs? The tubs aren't aerated, and I basically leave them alone with some fish in them through the summer. The tadpoles are approximately the size of bloodworms, so I'm sure that if they register to the betta as food, they'll be eaten. But I want to get them out of the pond ASAP too. Chytrid's out of the equation, as I don't hate all frogs that much. I can't salt the water either, as I want freshwater fish, not pickled fish. Any ideas on how to keep the frogs out, kill the tadpoles, and otherwise keep my life sane?

As a request, I'm begging you to not post pictures of frogs on this. Yes, I hate/fear frogs that much. Thank you.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Seek help for your frog phobia.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Goldfish will eat them. What kind/color are they. Hopefully they aren't toad tadpoles and yeah, seek therapy about the frogs.

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Most NA natives will chow down on the tadpoles... thing is, you mention "tub" - how big?

ichthyogeek

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
Arkansas
20 gallon kiddie pool (meant for Corydoras pygmaeus and Danio tinwini breeding), I added a betta for hopeful control...
100-ish gallon black rectangular tub-thing, meant for oversummering larger tropical fish (WCMM, convict cichlid, platies, etc.)

I think that the betta is eating the tadpoles, and the majority of the fish in the other tank are feasting on the tadpoles as well, but after heavy rains, I usually find eggs that look like toad eggs (strings of eggs tied with mucus, rather than rafts).

For future reference, how do I prevent this in the future? I'd prefer not to have to use aeration, as they're meant as unfiltered tubs, not as aerated ponds, and the lack of water movement means more mosquito larvae (=food for fish). Additionally, my sisters' dogs would chew the wires. It rains too heavily for me here to apply salt, and the only solutions I've come up with are lemon slices in the water (it's supposed to keep away frogs?), or maybe planting some sort of chive to keep them away.

id10t

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Wire mesh cover? Should let insects in, but be small enough to keep frogs/toads out. Not sure if they'll drop 'em from air into water as opposed to getting in the water and laying them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store