Looking for a CA livebarer that is tough

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Not because of my cichlids, but my two spot astyanax tetras. They are 6'' and so far have eaten any 2-3'' swordtail or molly. Even cichlids at that size will get picked on sometimes. I was thinking about ameca splendens, but not sure if they will be ok. I understand they are nippers and quite aggressive too. Any ideas on a wild type of livebarer that can co-exist with these tetras?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks oddball! They are a unique fish. Aren't they a South American livebarer? What about belenesox belizanus? They get large enough, but I understand they are quite timid and require live food. The size may help, but the tetras are voracious eaters even beating the cichlids out to food. They will eat right out of my hand too. Fiesty buggers lo!
Also I know some sp. of wild mollies get 6-8''. Do you know what sp. they are and if available in the hobby? I am really looking to stick to a NA (Mexico) and CA theme.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Xenatoca eiseni is a pretty tough costumer, and many of the Gambusia are also tough.
eiseni below

Cenote Crystal just south of Tulum had only Gambusia and some very large Astyanax (maybe 5" long).
In Cenote Aktun Ha were Astyanax, velifora mollies and I believe Gambusia yucatana, beside the cichlids like Parachromis freidrichstalli.
But the Astyanax are fearless, in my video, every time I flinch its because an Astyanax is taking a tiny chunk out of my neck, or ears, I started stirring up the substrate just to keep them off my back.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Xenatoca eiseni is a pretty tough costumer, and many of the Gambusia are also tough.
eiseni below

Cenote Crystal just south of Tulum had only Gambusia and some very large Astyanax (maybe 5" long).
In Cenote Aktun Ha were Astyanax, velifora mollies and I believe Gambusia yucatana, beside the cichlids like Parachromis freidrichstalli.
But the Astyanax are fearless, in my video, every time I flinch its because an Astyanax is taking a tiny chunk out of my neck, or ears, I started stirring up the substrate just to keep them off my back.
Thanks Duane! That really gives me some ideas. Great video btw. I have heard astyanax tetras (especially mexicanus) can be difficult to film or swim with. I've been wanting them for some time too. But my bimaculatus are really interesting w/ the cichlids.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Forget about the livebearers. These tetras are too aggressive. I can't even keep gambusias with astyanax tetras.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks. Sounds like you have been through it with them. I was even worried about a 2.5'' salvini that I added, but she seems to be holding her own now. Even with cichlid breeding pairs have a hard time fending off these predators. At the same time you have to be careful of aggressive cichlids. I had h. deppi and p. loisellie that almost killed my largest astyanax. But astyanax tetras are one of the toughest fish I have ever owned. I removed a large female that was attacked by the loisellie. She was swimming upside down and appeared to be in bad shape. I put her in the hospital tank and she bounced back within a few weeks.
I do wonder how astyanax tetras compare with exos. People say do not mix exos with cichlids, but I have seen that done before. Do you guys think exos and astyanax could be kept together or no?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe in nature (for sure in the cenotes where Ive been) it is the Astyanax which keep cichlid and live bearer populations from exploding. They are so fast, shock and awe is an understatement, which I also believe leads the cichlids they share waters with to instinctively see Astyanax as their mortal foe

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
And perhaps this is one reason why NA and CA cichlids are aggressive?
I read in one article about snorkeling in Costa Rica that parachromis cichlids (dovii and managuensis) are the main predators that prey on astyanax tetras. But the article said that in some locations in southern CR there are no predators, so astyanax populations are out of control. So much so that you can't see anything but the tetras.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Thanks MN_rebel. Which astyanax sp. do you have? What do you keep with them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store