What are you cooking today.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
View attachment 1133467
this type of charcoal chimney requires precisely one full sheet (as in front and back pages...) of newpaper, loosely bundled under the grid, and as much charcoal as you can load on top. when the flames are out the top, the coals are ready, 20-30 minutes, not lighter fluid, no presoaked charcoal. Open the vents full to heat it up, close them down to slow the char. Removing the lid on charcoal adds more heat than opening the vents fully, so speed is the key when flipping/adding BBQ sauce. On a round grill, rotate the entire grill grate if one side is too hot, easier than moving the meat to adjust heat zones. The rest is trial and error.
Wow thanks a bunch Brook, I knew gas wasn't good. When you say coals are ready 20-30 mins, you mean you now have 20-30 minutes of cooking time right? Appreciate your help :)

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Wow thanks a bunch Brook, I knew gas wasn't good. When you say coals are ready 20-30 mins, you mean you now have 20-30 minutes of cooking time right? Appreciate your help :)
From lighting the match to dumping the coals out of the chimney is about 20-30 minutes. When the flames poke out the top layer of coal in the chimney, you dump the chimney and put the grill grate over the coals, then you are ready to add protein. The coals can go for a long time... And you can add more coal to the bed as you go if needed, but typically one chimneys worth will cook whatever it is you cannfit on your Weber...

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
From lighting the match to dumping the coals out of the chimney is about 20-30 minutes. When the flames poke out the top layer of coal in the chimney, you dump the chimney and put the grill grate over the coals, then you are ready to add protein. The coals can go for a long time... And you can add more coal to the bed as you go if needed, but typically one chimneys worth will cook whatever it is you cannfit on your Weber...
Perfect, very helpful. I've lived in an apartment for a long time and used the community propane grills. Just recently I've started using charcoal, I definitely could have used this tip, thanks again. It won't be long until I'm asking for cooking tips ;) I think I got lucky my chicken didn't hurt anyone lol

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I had turkey breast, mashed potatoes, and rolls tonight.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've seen those charcoal chimneys before but I never knew exactly how they were used.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Perfect, very helpful. I've lived in an apartment for a long time and used the community propane grills. Just recently I've started using charcoal, I definitely could have used this tip, thanks again. It won't be long until I'm asking for cooking tips ;) I think I got lucky my chicken didn't hurt anyone lol
I have a recipe for "tips," although it is good on just about anything... I have called it "black meat" since I was old enough to chew, and now my wife tells me that I shouldn't tell people that it is called "black meat." I am not sure that I fully understand the issue... Anyway, here it is, put it on steak tips or anything you want at least 30 minutes but as long as 24 hours before grilling... Units not specified for soy sauce = cup, same as oil

1438742841518-1722962194.jpg

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I've seen those charcoal chimneys before but I never knew exactly how they were used.
The most important thing is the amount of newspaper you use... one full sheet, front and back page of the paper, gently wadded up in the bottom. There is a grid for the coal to sit on, about 3 inches up the chimney. Paper on bottom, light it through a hole, and as long as there is smoke coming out the top, it is working. let the paper smolder, you shouldn't have to light it again, even if you think you have to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store