How quickly do Goldfish grow?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
So I have 8 small (under 2inch) and 2 med (about 5inch) goldfish in a 400ltr (5 foot) tank atm, and was just wondering if anyone has a guess as to how long it's guna be before I need a pond for them? Years maybe? Or more like months?

One of the larger ones is a standard blaze comet, the other one is a fat tri colour with REALLY stunted fin growth (that's why we brought her home :D ). One of the little ones is a blue oranda, and the other 7 are babies that I got from the bigger ones, they're fat but only have single tails (and didn't develop a few fins.. I had no idea what I was doing when trying to raise them! The fins they have are long and healthy though!).

The tank is heated to 23°c because its planted, and their fed a mix of diffrent green veg and the odd hikari pellet here and there.. The goldfish have only been in the tank for a month or so and I haven't noticed any major growth in any of them yet.

Sorry for the long post but I assume more info makes guess work easier. :)

Thanks in advance.

note2self

Candiru
MFK Member
May 27, 2014
pac nw
What is pond size to you? IMO those 5" goldfish are ready for a pond now. I threw a bunch of 2" feeders in my pond and 3 months later they had grown to 4" without me feeding them at all. I forgot all about them and they ate vegetation and algae and just grew. they are now around 6-8" and fat at about 10 months old. Ihey have really slowed up on growing, though.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I personally wouldn't bat an eyelid at having a 5 inch goldfish in a 400 litre 5 foot tank, i'd say it's gonna be a while until you may want to move them; even then that'd be dependent on the size they get to, all fish have different growth potential.

Again, personal opinion.

Reactions: boldtogether

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I put them in a 500 gal (1800L) pond the first summer in 2012.

They were overwintered 2012/2013 in a 500 gal kiddy pool, and the year after were overwintered in a 3700L kiddy pool.
I don't feed them during winter because the kiddy pool water temp gets below 50'F (10'C) in my basement.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Well the pond I'm trying to get put in I would like to be the size of a pool. I want it 4 metres wide and 10 metres long, and about 130cm deep (<--- will this even be deep enough?) I have no idea how much water it will hold, lots I hope.. Just waiting on council approval to start digging it out.. Also your goldfish are BEAUTIFUL!!! Sure put mine to shame lol I'm hoping I never have to put them in a pond, they're inside pets, and I'd love to heat the pond and have it full of oscars coz I think that would be cool, but something tells me I can kiss that dream goodbye until I'm at least 45.. :)

Thanks for the replies also.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
In a tank maybe a half inch or a inch a month. In a pond about a inch or a little more per month. As mentioned I also have gold fish in my pond and they grew an amazing 6 inches in 4 months of the summer. I did feed them though. I leave the water green and they seem to benefit from it way more than clear water.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Nice. At the end of the day I'd like to keep them inside, they were brought as inside pets and it doesn't seem fair to just throw them outside because they got to big (I can't stand it when people do it to dogs, so why should fish be any different?) But I have a feeling that I'm guna have to move them eventually, Even if that means buying 3 more 5 foot tanks and splitting them into groups.. Also, do any of you guys put extra support under your big tanks? Like under the house to stop the tanks from going through the floor? And if so, what are some of the bracing methods used to do it? Sorry about all the questions, I just want the best for my fish. :D

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have about 20 tanks on my first floor, totaling around 1500 gallons, and although my floor joists are 16" (because my house was built in the late 1800s) have 4 floor jacks under the heaviest ones just for piece of mind

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store