What are you cooking today.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The most important thing is the amount of newspaper you use... one full sheet, front and back page of the paper, gently wadded up in the bottom. There is a grid for the coal to sit on, about 3 inches up the chimney. Paper on bottom, light it through a hole, and as long as there is smoke coming out the top, it is working. let the paper smolder, you shouldn't have to light it again, even if you think you have to.
Interesting but my grill is horizontal,would it still work for my type?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Sweet corn tonight.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
lemon garlic chicken tonight. and sorry no offence but aint no newspaper fumes happening in my smoker, apple wood, maple wood, alder, hickory all good, front page? no way!!.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
lemon garlic chicken tonight. and sorry no offence but aint no newspaper fumes happening in my smoker, apple wood, maple wood, alder, hickory all good, front page? no way!!.
Lol, you definitely wouldn't be into my 92 octane chicken! Wouldn't the fumes be non existent, 20 minutes after lighting and then pouring the coals into the bbq? I have a long way till I think about a smoker.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
coals are just there to get the wood going. after the little charcoal bed you have made is white you put the wood on it. it starts the wood to smoldering./smoking. meat on lid closed. stack closed, vent closed, and just add wood every hour or so for the next 8 hours. temp between 180 and 220. the meat is to never be over the coals, meat on one side, coals on the other. you can put a water pan over the coals/wood for a wetter smoke but I never do.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I use to smoke a pipe, fowl the pipe, never taste the same again.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
coals are just there to get the wood going. after the little charcoal bed you have made is white you put the wood on it. it starts the wood to smoldering./smoking. meat on lid closed. stack closed, vent closed, and just add wood every hour or so for the next 8 hours. temp between 180 and 220. the meat is to never be over the coals, meat on one side, coals on the other. you can put a water pan over the coals/wood for a wetter smoke but I never do.
I'm too impatient to wait 8 hrs. I'd be full of snacks and/or beer by the time the food was done.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
every man should know his limitations, yours are, "is it freeking done yet!" slow smoke something for the next day. Pork is great for that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store