Overflow help for 450 gallons

Torchia32

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
California
i would do 2 of the Laguna pumps. For redundancy if nothing else. If one fails the other is there to back it up. But mainly because I think 1x 2900 wont be enough. I have 2x 2" drains and run 2x 4280s wide open.
Can the Lagunas mount on the wall of the return chamber or do they need to be flat on the bottom? I'm not sure my return chamber is large enough to have two both on the floor

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
You can take them out of their cages and tilt them how needed. I have my 4280s in a 18"x18" section tilted up with the out put angled upwards. IMAG3517.jpg

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
No, after figuring in head height, fittings and some other things I figure I am pushing right around 4k in flow.
Thats what you will have to figure. Your 2" drains will push around 2400 each probably less depending if straight drop or horizontal runs, valves and fittings.
Better to over estimate pump size than to underestimate. You can put valves and or Ts on returns and throttle down some to regulate flow. You dont want to have to adjust drains flow with valves because that increases the potential for blockages and tank overflows.

I do put valves on drains but only to stop flow when doing maintenance.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I can understand not wanting to install overflow boxes. But, if you're already drilling holes, sure you don't want to drill an extra drain hole in each corner? You'll have the tank flipped over, you'll have the drill in your hand, you'll be right there anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store