I think I'm losing my BGK

Tish

Feeder Fish
Aug 5, 2015
Hi all,
I don't know where to start Im so upset.
My BGK had been acting strange for a few days when I saw what looked like a furry blister on his side, I went to get fungus-ade and when I got home he had somehow got his face stuck in the filter fan.
His face has healed (not my beautiful boy anymore though) but now his side looks weird, he won't eat his frozen shrimp blocks so I got him some guppies and neon tetras to snack on(he's eat them) and am now using half dose of melafix as well as the fungus-ade.
But for the most part he is struggling to get up and just laying in the bubbles. What else can I do for him, I've had him for about a year and a half.
Please help I love my toothless. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What caused this? Anything change recently? Tank maintain up to schedule, water cahages, gravel vacuuming, filter maint?

Get a large bucket or hospital tank filled wit tank water treat with one teaspoon methylene blue per 5 gallons of water. Bath in this for 30 mins. Do a 50% water change in the main tank and use furan 2. After the MB bath put it back in the main tank wit the furan 2. Give it the MB bath every day for five days treating the main tank with furan 2 as per package instructions.

Tish

Feeder Fish
Aug 5, 2015
Thank you.
I've no idea what caused it, it started out looking like a fungus infection but after I added the fungus-ade for a few days it became this.
Yes I keep up with water change 30% every two weeks I use a gravel vacuum, filters get cleaned every week

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Test your water, 30% every two weeks may not be enough. Nitrates need to be below 20 ppm. Zero ammonia and zero nitrite.

Reactions: Tish

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Test your water, 30% every two weeks may not be enough. Nitrates need to be below 20 ppm. Zero ammonia and zero nitrite.
what are your answers to the above questions? They don't tolerate poor water quality at all or being bullied. When either are a factor they get the white slime/fuz

Tish

Feeder Fish
Aug 5, 2015
what are your answers to the above questions? They don't tolerate poor water quality at all or being bullied. When either are a factor they get the white slime/fuz
I need to get another test kit tomorrow when I go to get the mb and furan, so I'll be able to answer that than but I have done a big water change. He isn't getting bullied. He's finally back in his log so I'm hopeful.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Thank you.
…………………………………………....
Yes I keep up with water change 30% every two weeks I use a gravel vacuum, filters get cleaned every week
"filters get changed" you don't completely change out all the media, do you?
I agree 30% water changes may be insufficient.
BGKs do not handle anything like scratches very well. I see what 'might' be rough edged rocks in the tank. can't tell texture well from pics. but I would not have anything rough in there. the older and bolder BGKs get, they really swim fast through the tank after dark. easy to get scratched with minimal eyesight. infection enters their scale-less skin quite easily.
they also can't handle the meds which scaled fish can.
with his skin being disrupted/wounded I would do 50% water changes every day. and keep lights off or just on blue moonlit. consider more hiding places, as when not feeling well, disoriented= stress.
LOTS of oxygenation in tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store