Looking for advice on stocking my tank

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Why do you say SDs are spooky? I have never seen one in person
I kept a school of 5 in my 120 with a trio of payara and this tank is in my living room. Every time anyone would move in the room they would take off banging off every part of the tank spooking the payara to do the same. After I got rid of them my payara are very calm and relaxed no more bouncing around the tank wildly and injuring themselves.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I kept a school of 5 in my 120 with a trio of payara and this tank is in my living room. Every time anyone would move in the room they would take off banging off every part of the tank spooking the payara to do the same. After I got rid of them my payara are very calm and relaxed no more bouncing around the tank wildly and injuring themselves.
Nothing in fishkeeping irritates more than this :/

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
I have vowed to never keep them again... Maybe tinfoil barbs as dithers instead but NEVER SDs they also grew from quarter size to 5" in 2 months.. And were very fragile.. . I like glass banger fish but not like that lol

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Silver dollars are super jumpy fish. Always slamming into everything in the tank.

Don't buy a pacu, please.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I have limited experience with turtles, i.e. none; but I've heard that they will eat or kill most fish they are put in with

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Silver dollars are super jumpy fish. Always slamming into everything in the tank.

Don't buy a pacu, please.
I agree pacus are worse than SDs or anything really.. Without a 1000+ gallon tank..

C.Bargman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2015
Okay let me ask about another fish. My buddy just sent me the endlicheri bichir and honestly I love it. Does anyone have any experience with this fish?

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Birchirs are pretty sweet and an endli will probably get pretty big up to 18-24" the size of your wrist. They are not usually overly aggressive fairly inactive bottom feeding predators (mostly smell oriented) mine very seldom caught feeders. They work well with other birchirs of similar size as well as most predatory species fairly armored compared to most fish.

Reactions: C.Bargman

C.Bargman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2015
Okay well I want to say thanks for the thought and advice. I think I have a pretty good idea where I am going to head with this tank. I will be sure to post some pictures as it comes along.

Reactions: reddead38
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store