New fish

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I caught 2 pumpkinseeds today and just noticed that one of them has a cloudy mark on its eye. The other eye is fine and the other fish is fine. Do you think it's a scuff being in the wild or the river or a fish getting after it? Or is it something wrong inside the fish. Been in the tank for about 30 minutes not sure what to do

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Could just be the adjustment to captivity stressing it out. Keep an eye on it and make sure it's eating and acting normally. If not, let us know and I'll see what I can think up.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I think that it got picked on by another fish in the tank since all 3 news ones were obviously picked on a bit while I was out of the room

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
Looks exactly like the early stages of what I have seen in my trout (from what I can see in that picture). Check out my thread here for a look at what is to come...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/trout-eye.648099/
How fast would that spread to a healthy fish? I don't think it would even spread would it? Whenever I add a new fish it gets picked on for a day or two to reestablish the pecking order then everyone is fine. I left for an hour or so and and the three new fish all had scuffs and nipped fins and one of my oldest fish had a spot on its eye too so I don't think it's a health issue anymore. It should be cleared by next week

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
In my experience, it does not spread among healthy fish. I have had some thought that it may be linled to stress (primarily social stress, as you have encounteres) and I am now beginning to think that there may be a point of no return. The trout pictured in my thread is now the alpha of the tank, but he was a subordinate for a long time after the eye issue began. I haven't seen the eye issue clear in any amount of time in my trout, although it has come and gone more than once in my angel fish. My thinking is that if your fish continues to be stressed, the condition will persist. I am also fully open to the thought that I am completely wrong...

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
I still think it was just from getting in a scuffle with another fish in the tank. Or scraping into some wood in the tank while fleeing. I'm not at my house until Sunday so I will check on them then

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I still think it was just from getting in a scuffle with another fish in the tank. Or scraping into some wood in the tank while fleeing. I'm not at my house until Sunday so I will check on them then
Try to post another picture, if you can get one with a closer focus on the eye. I remain skeptical of your abrasion hypothesis, if it really is the same thing as I have seen in my tank. The good news is that my brookie is strong and healthy, even if he is blind in one eye... it might actually be aiding in food distribution among the other fish in the tank, since she can only see food items on her right, she doesn't eat everything that hits the water!

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
2 hours or so (I don't exactly remember how long it was) I went in my room and the 3 new fish all had similar marks on their eye/eyes and torn up fins. Plus the betta (second in command) fish had a mark on its eye too. So if it is what you said it was then it shouldn't have spread to 4 fish so fast right? Plus it cleared up on one of the other fish I think 2 of them within 2 days I just need pictures but I can't get them until Sunday

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store