Common pleco for the "pond"...

TriLamb13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2015
United States, Marriottsville, MD
We have a smaller fish pond in our back yard that is run with a filter and has a pump with cascading water falls to help with water circulation. What are your thoughts about putting one or both of my large 12" common plecos out in the pond for the warm season and bringing them back in during the winter? I live in Maryland so it would be at least 6 months of outside living for them. I just wonder if it's worth it and if it's healthy for them.IMG_4066.JPG

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
other than catching them when the weather start to get cold to move them in might be a pain, everything should be fine.

Reactions: TERTELKeng

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I agree, catching a pleco in a pond can be difficult, with any kind of planting or rockwork. That's another thing to remember they are plant eaters.....

Reactions: TERTELKeng

TriLamb13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2015
United States, Marriottsville, MD
Ahhh totally didn't think about the catching part, lol....thanks for reminding me. Luckily most of the plants are potted. It was worth a thought but I may reconsider.

Jcb1125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2016
I've heard of plenty of people doing this, biggest worry I would have was the pleco wearing at the pond liner and weakening it. With 45mil your probably fine. If you do decide to do it, I would go out at night with a flashlight and hunt for it that way.

FishPondSealant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2016
Sorry I can't help you out but I really like your beautiful fish pond, You have amazingly decorated this small backyard pond with plants and cascading water falls which make it more beautiful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store