how to determine silver dollar gender and how to breed them?

Hans Jeremy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2015
hi my name is hans and im a new member of this website. can someone plss tell me on how to tell the gender of a silver dollar the regular one's . what are the signs that my silver dollar's ( if they are a pair) are breeding and if so what shall i do shall i remove other fish out from the aquarium or remove the eggs from the aquarium and put it on another container plssss i really2x could use your help.... i will send pics down below...... ty in advance20150825_220236.jpg

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I've never tried breeding SD's before so I never tried finding out how to sex them. When ever I want to breed fish I always start off with a small group and let them pair themselves. I did some quick research and came across this thread on MFK that maybe helpful. So here's a quote of some of the info and a link to the thread. Hope it helps. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-breeding-behaviour-of-silver-dollars.363143/

Hey Guys,

There is so much false information out there about sexing and breeding behaviour for SD's, so i thought i'd share what i learnt from first hand experience a few years ago when i had a breeding colony of SD's.

I posted this info recently in another thread to help a fellow member and thought it may help more ppl if i put it here...

To sex silver dollars, look at the anal fin... Females anal fin is straight, males anal fin has a "bump" 3/4 the way down.
(Attached below is a dodgy 2 second paint edit to show the difference between male and female anal fins)

When they're getting ready to spawn you will notice some of the following changes in the fish - 2 black blotches behind the gills(mainly in the males), black/red fin edges and overall more colourful bodies (Red/Black).

The males will chase the females, swim up next to them then wrap their anal fin under the female. Female releases around 20+ eggs, the male fertilizes them, they shake then seperate quickly scattering eggs. They will continue doing this for hours at a time until the female has released all her eggs, which can be thousands!

The eggs are clear and TINY (From memory - 1-1.5mm diameter), if you don't look hard enough you won't see them. If there are any other fish in the tank they will sometimes follow the silver dollars waiting for the eggs to be released.

I used to wait until the silver dollars are finished then vacume area's of the tank where the eggs would accumulate from water flow, chuck them in an egg tumbler and see how they go.

I've heard of people spawning SD's over marbles/egg crate/wool etc so the eggs fall between the gaps, to prevent them from being eaten. I honestly can't remember if the parents tried to eat the eggs, i have a feeling they didn't...

Feel free to post your experiences, questions etc.

Hope that helps :)

Hans Jeremy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2015
hey koltsixx what fish species do u have in ur tank and what is the size on your tank

Hans Jeremy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2015
koltsixx my sd's have a little bump on there anal fin so that means that my sd's are not male and female....... but tnks for the info and the post that you gave me is that i already read it..... but ty for your help. :)

Hans Jeremy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2015
hi koltsixx or anyone who can read this plss tell me on how to feed my sd's cucumber or any green veggies plss....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store