Prazipro safe for catfish?

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Hi all, I need some advice. I think I have diagnosed my Lima shovelnose with gill flukes.
A little backstory- she's been as healthy as can be until about a week ago. There have been no new additions to the tank so not sure where this came from. She hasn't been eating as well as normal, still eating but not as vigorously and not as much as usual. Tonight, I noticed the gills on the left side of her head aren't moving but the right side is. It's almost as if the gill is "stuck" to her side. I haven't seen any flashing behavior or anything else unusual. Based off of that, my only guess would be gill flukes. It doesn't look like gill curl to me.
So my question is, is prazipro safe to use with her? I've heard people do it as a preventative and that it's extremely safe. I've read no contraindications. Just wanted to double check because she's scaleless. I'm wanting to use it just in case it is gill flukes. Also, if anyone has any idea what it could be, please share. I'm lost here. She doesn't seem in distress or even that ill.
She's in a 120 gallon with 2 juvenile oscars and a juvenile Jack Dempsey. Water parameters are great. I do large weekly water changes. There plenty of filtration and aeration. There doesn't seem to be any aggression towards her, they mostly ignore her. Everyone else is fine and happy.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Prazi is safe to use with catfish.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Prazi is safe to use with catfish.
Thanks. Im going to give it a try. Just wanted to make sure I'm not going to hurt anything.
Anybody have any ideas what I could be dealing with?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It's hard to say what the issue is. A clamped fin is a symptom of gill flukes and running some prazi through the system won't hurt anything. I can't say for sure what it is, may be nothing and it'll start using the gill again. I've had fish breath out of one gill and thought the same as you then they started using both again like nothing was wrong. Keep the water very clean, try the prazi like I said it won't hurt.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
It's hard to say what the issues is. A clamped fin is a symptom of gill flukes and running some prazi through the system won't hurt anything. I can't say for sure what it is, my be nothing and it'll start using the gill again. I've had fish breath out of one gill and thought the same as you then they started using both again like nothing was wrong. Keep the water very clean, try the prazi like I said it won't hurt.
Thanks a lot!! She's the first fish I got when I started fish keeping. It would kill me if something happened to her. She doesn't seem to be in any distress, that's why I'm not too concerned.
I'll definitely try the prazi and keep an eye on her.

annamarie92

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
NC
Tonight she ate normally and both gills seemed to be working normally. Not sure what's going on, still going to try the prazi seeing as it won't hurt anything. But this definitely eases my mind.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store