quitting fish keeping

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
hey guys i havent posted in a while but you may have remembered me from last year when i was posting about tuberculosis killing everything in my tank. basically fish tb started killing all of my fish, including fancy expensive ones and a fish i even raised from birth which i had a lot of attachment to. i spent a lot of money on medication but nothing worked. i ended up having to euthanize all of my fish, around the same time of last year. i also had to replace ALL of my equipment, the 40 gallon tank, the filter, gravel, everything save the stand.

i started fresh around this time last year and bought 2 blood parrots and an algae eater. one died in around december to an unknown cause, but i noticed that the other one wasnt growing. the algae eater also wasnt growing, and i started getting worried as this lack of growth is the same symptom of tb i had been dealing with from the past. but considering the odds of somehow getting tb in my new tank after already having it in my old one seemed so improbable, i didnt think much of it. i went and bought a $150 upgraded filter, and carried on.

then the algae eater started thinning out, and then it dropped dead, with the same exact looking carcass as all of the other victims ive dealt with in the past. and now my last remaining blood parrot is starting to thin out, with still absolutely no growth since i bought him. for the life of me i will never understand how i got tb a second time, but thats the final straw.

you win, tb. all and all i must have spent over $1500 for the hobby and built a bunch of attachments to my fish, only for them to be crushed relentlessly by this incurable disease. i spent $20 a week on kanamycin and neomycin antibiotics but nothing worked. and now i have to sit and watch my last blood parrot slowly die.

ive always loved fish since i was an infant, but i never knew one infernal disease could ruin so much. i have not felt quite such emotion in a long time. all i wanted was a simple hobby. im done with fish forever

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Sad to hear this. I'm sorry I don't have any answers. A strange problem you are cursed with.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Your likely suffering from a different ailment, an internal parasite......Did you purchase your fish from the same supplier? The best investment would be a microscope, that you will know what you are treating.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Your likely suffering from a different ailment, an internal parasite......Did you purchase your fish from the same supplier? The best investment would be a microscope, that you will know what you are treating.
Well like I've said I've treated for everything including internal paradise medication in 2 different forms, both liquid and mixed in food. TB is also free swimming and is passed genetically which explains why my infected platy's fry did not survive and died of the same exact symtpoms. I've already ruled out any other possibilities with many other users on this forum and I've even quarantined infected fish, but nothing works because it's in the water. I already know its tb, at this point I'm just accepting the facts and moving on with my life

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Well like I've said I've treated for everything including internal paradise medication in 2 different forms, both liquid and mixed in food. TB is also free swimming and is passed genetically which explains why my infected platy's fry did not survive and died of the same exact symtpoms. I've already ruled out any other possibilities with many other users on this forum and I've even quarantined infected fish, but nothing works because it's in the water. I already know its tb, at this point I'm just accepting the facts and moving on with my life
If you say so...There lots of different parasites, not all meds will cover them.
What meds did you use? Sorry if I sound insensitive, really want to help more than anything.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Sounds rough, sorry to hear your difficulties. Maybe you'll come back in time though, or ideally be able to cure your current BP

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Nothing is forever man. Sometimes a break is enough to start a nice fire under you at a later time. Sorry for your hardship.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I wouldn't give up so easily, at least I need to find out the source cause, it can be from your bad fish supply, your own water (if you're using well water), and lastly human errors. I'm close to 4 decades in this hobby and all the money I spend for fish, equipment then fish died cause of any reasons I listed probably enough to pay off a brand new 2015 BMW :)

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I wouldn't give up so easily, at least I need to find out the source cause, it can be from your bad fish supply, your own water (if you're using well water), and lastly human errors. I'm close to 4 decades in this hobby and all the money I spend for fish, equipment then fish died cause of any reasons I listed probably enough to pay off a brand new 2015 BMW :)
Lol, a few years ago I decided to save every one of my fish related receipts and add them up. About a year into it, I had such a pile, I decided I didn't want to know and stopped, not even adding up what I had LOL :D

Reactions: jamntoast
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store