Chloramine in Los Angeles?

JustMFKhere213

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Los Angeles
I've been surfing the web and couldn't find how much chloramine does LA water have so I can properly treat my tank. Mfk folks I need help. Thanks in advance!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No prob, hopefully that gets you a little closer to what you were looking for.

JustMFKhere213

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Los Angeles
No prob, hopefully that gets you a little closer to what you were looking for.
I definitely did. Now I don't just aimlessly or rule thumb per say when I'm putting conditioner in my tank. For people that's curious or wants to know the Chloramine is 2ppm. Thanks again RD!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
2 ppm is a typical residual, it really depends on the organic load (demand) at the source), and source temp (warmer water uses chloramine up faster than cold).
That 2ppm, is residual at the starting point where treated water leaves the plant, or pumping station, and residual at the far end of the system is typically required to be a trace.
If you are close to the chloramine adding point (treatment plant, or pumping station) 2ppm could be expected in your home, if you are many miles from the plant, or pumping station, your chloramine level may be 1ppm or less.
I live about 7 miles from my local water plant, and my home tap residual averages 1.2-1.5 ppm. My source water is usually very cold < 50'F.

Reactions: JustMFKhere213

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No problem, glad to help.

As Duane stated unlike chlorine, chloramine does not break down quickly so the residual at ones taps can sometimes be pretty close to the source. My chloramine treatment level is also 2ppm.

Reactions: JustMFKhere213
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store