quitting fish keeping

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Most internal parasites have the exact symptoms and there are 1000's of different kinds between the worms and protozoans. I would stick with general cure because it has broad coverage.
ok. it just seems like a lot of the listed diseases on the box are external parasites, but il trust that it also covers internal parasites

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
You could also treat with espom salt either baths or soaked food along with Metro baths and soaked food. Have you gotten the fish from the same store? If so ask who their supplier is a research if they've had issues with TB and their fish. Just the lack of other true TB symptoms leads me to believe its not. Just make sure you're keeping up on tank maintanence and WC

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Sorry to hear of your troubles...it's always to downer when the results are not what you expect given the time and effort.

Just out of curiosity...what are your water parameters? Did you get fishes from the same source/store?

Reactions: bloodlucky

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Sorry to hear of your troubles...it's always to downer when the results are not what you expect given the time and effort.

Just out of curiosity...what are your water parameters? Did you get fishes from the same source/store?
My water params are always perfect I do at least one wc every week and test it a lot

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
the question of fish SOURCE has never been answered, and in my opinion, with no idea of your actual age, I am guessing that you are too young to actually swear off of fish forever... if you have truly been a fish enthusiast from infancy, you will be back...

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
And the algae eater was ordered online but I bought the blood parrots from Petco. Their bellies were round and fat when I bought them

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
the question of fish SOURCE has never been answered, and in my opinion, with no idea of your actual age, I am guessing that you are too young to actually swear off of fish forever... if you have truly been a fish enthusiast from infancy, you will be back...
Chill out lol I just forgot to put that in my last message and Ive got one year left til college believe me my dad had a huge 72 gallon since I was 5 years old (we had to give it away when we moved) I've been in love with fish even before then which is why we got the tank. Put yourself in my shoes this entire hobby was destroyed by this one disease and I even tried to start fresh and it still came back. No sir I don't think I will ever be keeping fish again, unless I get a sudden change of heart years after college and I get my own place. But it's unlikely since these bad experiences are definitely not leavin me anytime soon

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I think everyone has had an experience like this with fish disease, to the point of wanting to quit. Its no fun when your fish are unhealthy but hopefully you will persevere and keep researching. The another best thing you can have when it comes to fishkeeping is a quarantine tank, its kind of seems like a pain at first but very necessary. Buy a used 20g, toss a few sponge filters in, it will save you from troubles like this.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
sorry to hear leaving the Fish keeping hobby but agree with your reasoning. May sound strange to relate across, but I have not and never ask an employee to stay, if you are not happy by all means move along to something else, if fish keeping is not working out for you, its work with no satisfaction, move along, perhaps come back later to it or not. No harm no fowl. Wish you well in what ever you choose as a hobby or pass time.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Have you noticed any white stringy poops? I think Hexamita is a very common fish disease, I've had an outbreak in my tanks. Epsom salt soaked food cured it. The fish got lethargic, started eating less and less, then quit eating altogether. They'd just get sicker and sicker.

I thought it was all kinds of different fish diseases, everything I'd read would make me think it was some new fish disease. But, when I saw white stringy poop I knew what it was. If I'd had more experience, I'd have noticed it right off--how was I supposed to know to study fish turds?

I followed the directions in RD's article, it cleared up in a few days. Right here --- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/treating-hexamita-aka-spironucleus.523470/

Fish disease is demoralizing. I totally empathize with your situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store