Arowana Breeding?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I could never accurately distinguish males from females. I put a group of sub-adult silvers together in 1995. Then, separated out the ones that paired off. I placed the largest pair in a 450 where they did nothing but swim together for several years. I made 2 relocations with them and eventually put them in a 300 that I used as my shop counter and cash register station. I came into work one morning, in 2002, and the male's buccal cavity was greatly distended. After he released the hatched fry (and losing a few and culling a few others) I had a couple of dozen nice little aros.
I gave all the fry away. I couldn't think of any reasonable price to charge. Between the tank space/cost, the cost of years of food for the breeders, and the costs of rearing space and foods for the fry I would have had to charge about $500 a fish just to break even. I don't really mind though. I got to witness something I'd only seen in books before.

BTW, their water was neutral at 7.0-7.5 pH. In late winters, their water changes were done with water about 5 F cooler than their 80F tank. In late Spring, I raised their temp to 84F. I can't say what finally triggered their spawn (since I followed that change and temp plan for years) or if age was my limiting factor all along. I've never been able to get them to spawn again and sold them in 2006 when I had to start traveling for my work.

dellfisherman

Feeder Fish
Aug 27, 2015
I wonder if anybody breed in the USA for research purposes. I know you can get permit for research and not personnel own.

THE FISH GUY INDIA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2019
Can we just buy a pair of arowans and find their sex through DNA testing and put them in the tank and wait until they reach the size or should we buy 4-6

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Can we just buy a pair of arowans and find their sex through DNA testing and put them in the tank and wait until they reach the size or should we buy 4-6
Didn't realize how old this thread was lol, but you'd be better off buying 4-6, just because you have a male and female doesn't mean they'll breed, and if you have only 2 aggressive fish together they might kill eachother, so having 4+ would be better

Reactions: Zanzag

THE FISH GUY INDIA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2019
Didn't realize how old this thread was lol, but you'd be better off buying 4-6, just because you have a male and female doesn't mean they'll breed, and if you have only 2 aggressive fish together they might kill eachother, so having 4+ would be better
Thank you

DanHOB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2017
Essex
www.facebook.com
I have my aros breeding but male has eaten eggs twice, I’ve extracted eggs once but no fry. There’s not much info on doing this as not often successfully done and I think the ones who have done it maybe don’t want to educate others as it is hard to do.
I have mine in a 6x5 pond, they do need a bit of room as the do the ‘courting dance’ for a while before breeding. Which is amazing to watch i have attached a link of mine doing it.
You cannot get 2aros and hope they breed, they select their own mates so you have to get them already as a pair.

Reactions: Droptopwop
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store