Want to Buy Who builds monster tanks in SW Ontario?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
You shouldn't post stuff that you don't know because that is how people get mislead!
By saying you CANT use a regular cutter is just nonsense as I have done it about half a dozen times.
should I have said you can but are likely to fail??

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Oh boy another Know it all!
Listen do some research. There is technique involved when cutting glass such as oil, temp, cutter etc. Old glass is harder to cut then new so you need to know how to approach it.It takes practice. I have been to miracles inside and there main guy cuts all the sheets by hand.
So your one glass shop is a bull ****ter who hasn't been in the trade very long. Also alot of shops won't even cut a piece at 1/2 or more cause they are scared to break it which can happen so its not worth there time. I'm not a pro so when my cuts are a bit jagged I belt sand them nice and square.

I'll help you with your first research. Go to Amazon and search 1/2 inch glass cutter :)

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
See alot of guys out there such as your self are making building glass aquariums harder then they seem. Like people saying " oh you need 3/4 inch glass for a 500g tank" blah blah blah.

I just trying to put it out there that its not that hard like you and others make it out to be and you dont have to be a "pro" . Just takes practice and more times then none takes will hold water if done correctly.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
That is that last tank I built and its a 6x3 half inch glass. The sides which are 3 feet long was cut from a 135g

IMG_20150125_104449.jpg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Oh boy another Know it all!
Listen do some research. There is technique involved when cutting glass such as oil, temp, cutter etc. Old glass is harder to cut then new so you need to know how to approach it.It takes practice. I have been to miracles inside and there main guy cuts all the sheets by hand.
So your one glass shop is a bull ****ter who hasn't been in the trade very long. Also alot of shops won't even cut a piece at 1/2 or more cause they are scared to break it which can happen so its not worth there time. I'm not a pro so when my cuts are a bit jagged I belt sand them nice and square.

I'll help you with your first research. Go to Amazon and search 1/2 inch glass cutter :)
glass shops do not cut it because they are scared to break it I agree with that. they are scared because there is added risk with 1/2" glass. that tank you built looks good no question. I'm glad you had success with cutting it, I was just saying why risk the cut when the place you get the glass at will cut it for you and sand the edge? from what I've experienced and heard 1/2" is not easily cut with your score knife. practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect. I suggested 3/4" acrylic which anyone on this site would recommend. glass I would still suggest to anyone 3/4". why would you risk failure with 500 gallons for 300 extra dollars??

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
double 140 gallon rimless. finished last weekend and sold to two happy customers.

20150810_183753.jpg

20150809_201212.jpg

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Forgive me if I lead you to believe 1/2 inch is" easy" to cut. Like I said a lot depends. If you try to cut 6 inch off a piece of 1/2 inch well its not gonna happen. A cut is just a controlled crack.
I agree when spending big bucks go for the thick glass but you have to remember that pressure on the panels of glass didn't change with just volume of water. So a 6x6 footprint has the same pressure on the joints as a 4x4 foot print as long as its the same height. For 2 ft high and a euro brace half inch is fine for both foot prints. Once you start to go higher pressure changes.

Did you reseal those tanks or build them?

One thing I learned from my past tanks is with the next tank I build I will be building the tank then after silicone dries cut out the access in the inside corners and add bead after.

The hardest part for me is the silicone drying by the time I have to add the inner beads when building larger tanks

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Forgive me if I lead you to believe 1/2 inch is" easy" to cut. Like I said a lot depends. If you try to cut 6 inch off a piece of 1/2 inch well its not gonna happen. A cut is just a controlled crack.
I agree when spending big bucks go for the thick glass but you have to remember that pressure on the panels of glass didn't change with just volume of water. So a 6x6 footprint has the same pressure on the joints as a 4x4 foot print as long as its the same height. For 2 ft high and a euro brace half inch is fine for both foot prints. Once you start to go higher pressure changes.

Did you reseal those tanks or build them?

One thing I learned from my past tanks is with the next tank I build I will be building the tank then after silicone dries cut out the access in the inside corners and add bead after.

The hardest part for me is the silicone drying by the time I have to add the inner beads when building larger tanks
yes I was saying this as well. it seems we were on the same page. my experience is with 1/2" euro bracing trying to cut a few inches off. yes those tanks were built from nothing, they turned out very well. I have other threads on resealing tanks as well. after I seal the panels I do as you said and remove the excess silicone with a razor then whipe down with rubbing alcohol then tape up to seal them up. another way on smaller tanks is tape before you put it together then when you sandwich the glass smooth with your finger then remove tape, there should already be enough silicone for smaller tanks

Reactions: CANAMONSTER
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store