What are these called?

fisheb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2013
OH
What are the things called in the attached photos? Filter socks? Filter sleeves? Filter bags?

These are the thick cloth bags that I tie on to the water intakes before they come into my sump and can put them in the washer every couple of weeks to clean them off. I want to get some more but not sure what to call them,IMG_2184.JPG IMG_2185.JPG so am having a hard time finding them online to buy. I have searched my regular online stores (Ken's, Big Al's, Pet Warehouse, etc) but am unable to find any matches. Any ideas what they are called and who carries them?

Thanks in advance.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Filter socks.I rinse mine off with the garden jose when they get too dirty.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
As krichsaid, ...filter socks. They're available in different micron for anything from coarse filtering of large particles down to 1 micron for water polishing.
When washing filter socks do not use detergent or dryer sheets. These will change the filtering characteristics of the sock material.

fisheb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2013
OH
OK, thanks again for the answers. We have established they are called filter socks.

Next, any suggestions on where to buy them online? Searching for filter socks at my usual online stores doesn't return anything that looks like these. I need ones with drawstring ties, not the ring at the top.

BrookKeeper

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2015
Shenandoah Valley, VA
the ring top versions can easily be modified to the drawstring type... with a pair of scissors and a string... they do not need to have the fancy seam which wraps the sting, you can simply wrap the sting around the outside, or get fancy and weave the sting in and out of the bag. I have seen people talk about buying them on mcmaster.com and several alternative fuel sites (commonly used to filter fry oil for biodiesel). I have no idea where the best price can be found, as I have never had to buy replacements. I also wash mine. you could also use thin quilt batting to make a sock of your own...

fisheb

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2013
OH
sorry, one more question. What is the micron rating for the socks that you use? Seems like 100 is the way to go but wanted to check with others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store