Arowana jumped out

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Hello, this is my first post on MFK. My Jardini arowana jumped out of his aquarium. There is a glass lid but it has holes for the filter inlets and outlets. I don't know how long he was out of the water but when I went downstairs to check on the fish, I didn't see my aro, so I looked behind and there he was. I scooped him up and put him in and now his slime is peeling off. Is he going to be okay?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It depends on how long it was out, and how how traumatic the leap was. Is it breathing?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Maybe run an airstone. Same thing happened to me, growing out. The tank had maybe a 2in gap to escape, sure enough I wake up in AM to a dried up aro.

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Maybe run an airstone. Same thing happened to me, growing out. The tank had maybe a 2in gap to escape, sure enough I wake up in AM to a dried up aro.
Yes is is breathing, otherwise fine other then what appear to be dryed of slime peeling off the scales. I don't really know what do about the slime coat, so I added in some seachem Prime to help.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There is not much you can do to help besides make sure the aro is not stressed further and hope it pulls through....maybe turn off the tank lights and try not to disturb it.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
There is not much you can do to help besides make sure the aro is not stressed further and hope it pulls through....maybe turn off the tank lights and try not to disturb it.
Agreed, it happened to me too. I found my first arowana dried out on the floor next to its tank one morning. Defiantly sucks, I hope he pulls through for you.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Agreed, it happened to me too. I found my first arowana dried out on the floor next to its tank one morning. Defiantly sucks, I hope he pulls through for you.
I lost my big armatus in a similar incident to Fishpony's....it launched up through the lid and hit the floor where it violently flapped around until I ran in to scoop it up and placed it back in it's tank.....it hung on for two days before it died.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I've had a big jardini do the same and pull through , if he's swimming around keep the oxygen up , lights off and perhaps some melafix or salt to help with his slime coat , hope you have some luck like I did and it pulls through

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
Thank you guys for the support, He is looking much better then yesterday, but parts of his body still have the dried off slime coat. His overall condition is great but still going to keep a really close eye on him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store