c. alta

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
what can you guys tell me about this species? on fish base it says that they get to a max size of 16 cm and like a temp between 24-27c (which I hope is a little flexible, I usually keep my tanks over 28c). there are some supposed to be coming in at an lfs near me soon and I've been wanting to get into the crenicichla game for a minute now so I might grab one or two. it/they would go into my 125g with other sa cichlids (uaru, angels, guianarcara) and a few plecos. does anyone have any experience with this fish or pictures etc.?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
They should work fine in your 125 with your fish. I'd say get a small group and allow them to pair off as pairs are pretty stable.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although not alta, I have kept Guianacara and other S Americans with a number of Crenicichla species without incident, as long as the other cichlids were large enough no to be swallowed.

Also Uruguayan Crenicichla saxatillis with Gymnogeophagus and Australoheros have worked well. In the case of the Uruguayans, I don't heat the tanks at all, and allow them to drop into the 60's F

Reactions: softturtle

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
They should work fine in your 125 with your fish. I'd say get a small group and allow them to pair off as pairs are pretty stable.
Although not alta, I have kept Guianacara and other S Americans with a number of Crenicichla species without incident, as long as the other cichlids were large enough no to be swallowed.

Also Uruguayan Crenicichla saxatillis with Gymnogeophagus and Australoheros have worked well. In the case of the Uruguayans, I don't heat the tanks at all, and allow them to drop into the 60's F

thanks guys, good to know. I figured it would probably work from what i've read about their size. was a little worried about the guianacara being bite size but I wont be putting them all together for a while still. i'm still trying to find a reliable photo of c. alta to be able to tell (hopefully) if its been correctly identified and such as the ones i'm thinking of are wild caught (rio Marajo). its weird some places talk about c. alta being super common as by-catch with other fish going into the aquarium trade but there seems to be few people actually owning them, like every time someone one posts a pic of their alta someone informs them its something else. wonder what i'll get. haha

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
So I picked one up today, the owner of the shop to me it was probably incorrectly identified and might in fact be a c. Proteus. Looks super healthy, ate bloodworms right away and is pretty active so that's good. What do you think this little guy is?

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Wrong videos. Sorry. Don't know how that happened. Also it's not the best video. Hopefully it helps though

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I don't know what I was doing with that video, looks like it was the right one the first time. Ha, weird

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store