Two little fishies Phosban reactor

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
I have found that a little purigen well used can go a long way. I've also used matrix carbon in my reactor and had good results. Last a lot longer than other carbon and it's spherical beads so they operate well in a reactor.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
A word to the wise, TLF Phosban reactors are notorious for leaking. Do yourself a favor and invest in one of the better ones. Vertex and BRS make awesome quality reactors for great prices.
They are easy to build too if you are into DIY projects.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Ok thanks I will bear that in mind. Do you know anything about using pyrogens in reactors though?
I've always used Chemipure in passive applications, so I can't offer much advice there. I have used ferric oxide in reactor-type settings plenty of times during my stint as a reef guy, though.

ProAquarist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2015
I love these reactors. I had a chain of three on my reef (Seachem Matrix Carbon in one, then GFO in the next, and Purigen in the last). Wrapping 'the bag' around the sponge that comes in it or using some sort of fine mesh/pad should be more than adequate to keep it contained.

I can definitely see how used out of the box they could leak, but I just used some of their plastic hose clips on all the tubing connections and have never had any issues. I personally have a hard time justifying the big jump in price between the Phosban Reactor and other reactors out there given they are not much more than plastic chamber.

Reactions: fishbum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store