New Brachyplatystoma platynemum

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Nice cat, always loved these guys. You did get a good deal on it. Cats eat anything, don't worry eventually it will be eating no problem. Nightcrawlers are def a good idea. I would budget for this thing to get big. I've seen a 2 foot specimen. It was sitting at a LFS for LITERALLY over a year and a half, and didn't grow much in that time, so I assume they get nice and solid but I don't get the impression they grow very fast. That said he was of course in a smaller tank than he needed, otherwise looked alright. I myself have also heard 4 feet, but I don't get that impression like I do from the other brachy's like capa, fili, and the rousseuxi (I know I spelt that wrong). I could be wrong, either way have fun with this guy!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Cats eat anything, don't worry eventually it will be eating no problem.
FWIW, this is agreeable imho with respect to large Brachiplatystoma cats. Fingelings and juvies can be quite picky, esp. after they have been accustomed to live foods.

This tendency of small = fussy and large = unfussy is true for most or perhaps all fish species but in some, like the Brachiplatystoma, this disparity is great.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
FWIW, this is agreeable imho with respect to large Brachiplatystoma cats. Fingelings and juvies can be quite picky, esp. after they have been accustomed to live foods.

This tendency of small = fussy and large = unfussy is true for most or perhaps all fish species but in some, like the Brachiplatystoma, this disparity is great.
You know what, you are right. I agree with you on second thought with specific species. RTC, throw anything in there and walk away. Vulture catfish, same thing. I can name a few more, but now that you mention it my tiger shovelnose and my tigrinus were picky at a smaller age, but then once they get more "established" they go into catfish mode and start guzzling. Cheers.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
So I still havent gotten him to eat and he has a few more scratches on his head from darting around which I will explain lol. So far ive tried tilapia, nightcrawlers, pollock, freeze dried krill, massivore and carnisticks. Anytime the lights are out and I drop feed near him he darts around and knocks he head on filter intakes, powerhead and driftwood. Its kinda getting frustrating and hes getting slimmer (No sunk in belly or anything though.) I have some roseys in qt but they still have about another week until theyre cleaned out. But those are last resort. Is he still settling in? He sees my wolf eat everything i throw in there so he has a teacher, there is no aggression what so ever. They stay on opposite ends of the tank.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I finally broke him. Lights off (First night with no blue moonlights on) he took a silverside with the head cut off. He spazzed around for a minute then ate it. This is great. Now to move onto tilapia and massivore.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good to hear. So all in all, how long has it been before he took his first bite?

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Thanks guys. I only put in one silverside so tonight i will put in two or three and start feeding him every other day. I got him last sunday so basically it took 5 days for him to eat. Not to shabby I guess. I love this fish. Ill try to get some more pics tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store