Parrot lineage

Dainbramage

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2015
If all male parrots are sterile, how the neck do they make them? I have a masterpiece bonsai flowerhorn male and I'm looking to breed it with a SKKP female from a friend. What will I get? I see video and pics of people breeding them but never the young ones of such breeding. Theoretically I should get some parrot looking fish with the desired kok yes? Or maybe all short body flowerhorns?

~T~

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
Hanoi, Vietnam
Using 2 different parent fish. It's pretty much assumed to be from midas x synspilus (meny generations in likely).

Parrot x sb flowerhorn should produce kilin/kirin parrots (as far as I'm aware anyway).

st3ven

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
mauritius
You will get all sort of FLowerhorn.
mostly Shortbody and bonsai flowerhorn.
But interestingly some of themw ill be fader .
Defenitly worth a try .

DIRTY REDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Maryland
I bred my Bonsai to a KKP and got mostly regular bodied white eyed kamfa, some regular bodied red eyed kamfa, a few bonsais, a few shortbodies, and couple faders... you get a little of everything. I did not get any kirin FH

Dainbramage

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2015
I bred my Bonsai to a KKP and got mostly regular bodied white eyed kamfa, some regular bodied red eyed kamfa, a few bonsais, a few shortbodies, and couple faders... you get a little of everything. I did not get any kirin FH
That is exactly what I am hoping for! I got super lucky finding this Bonsai locally and want more. I like the Bonsai and short bodies. You just don't see them often enough, around me anyway.
Now how about the mouth? Will they be normal or parrot like? The SKKP I will be using has a slight beak. Nothing like a blood parrot though.
You can check out my fish on you tube if you like. Search. . . .My flowerhorns smallest to biggest

Dainbramage

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2015
I think it just depends. I bred a syn with a KK and neither had deformed mouths but a couple of their offspring did.
Great! I have never cared for the funky mouth of parrot fish. It is confusing to me how they got that way in the first place. Secondly how they keep it since they can't be bred to each other. Nature will always revert to the natural form of an animal if left unchecked. Take fancy goldfish. If you breed double tailed fish to single tailed fish, you will get mostly single tailed fish....or some mis-shapened form of it. Rarely a good double tail like the parent fish.

Dainbramage

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2015
Great! I have never cared for the funky mouth of parrot fish. It is confusing to me how they got that way in the first place. Secondly how they keep it since they can't be bred to each other. Nature will always revert to the natural form of an animal if left unchecked. Take fancy goldfish. If you breed double tailed fish to single tailed fish, you will get mostly single tailed fish....or some mis-shapened form of it. Rarely a good double tail like the parent fish.
Ok. They are together and getting along well. With the hopes of fertile eggs and fry in the near future, what do I feed the fry short of hatching brine shrimp? Any good prepared foods out there? And I start feeding them when they start free swimming correct?

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
Parrot lineage is male syn x female Midas, or male syn type x female amph type (high % blood).

By skkp I assume you mean "mammon".
The fade gene they carry is incredible, at least 7-10x as potent as regular parrots. However, as they are essentially a different species, the yield of viable, good looking fish from this cross is minimal.

My advice would be to keep any fish that carry the body shape and ideal colors of the father, and cull the rest.

If you get any parrot types, cull them
as well. My experience indicates there is a very good reason that Asian breeders cull these so called "Kirin parrots". They are associated with too many deformities. Trust me, you don't want to sell these. If you are raising them for personal enjoyment, just know that you are risking raising a fish that eventually succumbs to an organ rupture, or other congenital defect.

Modifying the body type is very dangerous done in this random way.
You can either raise many generations to adulthood to screen for defects, and in years produce viable parrot shaped offspring, or you can cull everything but the body shapes that are known to be healthy.

I know how it can be to raise a fish for years, only to have it succumb
to a defect. You shouldn't have to do this unless you are dedicated enough to do so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store