For large 150 gallon tank secondary filtration Intex pool filter?

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
I'm actually half way between having large aquariums and an full-time aquaculturist so bear with me!

I use circular plastic tanks to bring in YOY fish for the fall and winter that I hatch in ponds. Volume of water in the tanks is typically about 150 gallons. Mechanical filtration consists of a white plastic 55 gallon drum packed with garden netting, and a u tube 2 inch diameter pvc siphon that pulls water into the bottom from the fish tank via gravity displacement and a small mag drive pump that sits on top of the netting. The clarified water gets pumps to another drum via the mag drive pump, which in this case is blue to keep light out and is filled with plastic media up to 4 cubic feet to act as the biofilter. The media is self cleaning and tumbles in the drum due to a diffuser on the bottom of the drum with the water exiting an overflow back into the tank.

O.K. here's the question: With fingerling fish as we all know they need to be feed several times a day vs. larger fish and create dirty water faster. The filtration I have is a little lacking for that kind of feeding. Works great for the larger fish though. I have an extra cheap Intex pool cartridge filter laying around (I use the Intex pools for holding tanks outside when seining the ponds) and was thinking of plumbing it into the clarifier drum to act as a secondary filter. That is pulling the cleaner water near the surface of the drum into the cartridge and back in again. Anybody every try this? The cartridges can be rinsed to some extent and even if replaced are dirt cheap.

Thoughts?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Any filter will work. Although, pool filters are not normally constructed to be either energy efficient or quiet for indoor use. Some low-end pumps also heat the water (motor heat) more than other pool pumps or aquarium/pond pumps.

Reactions: Cecil B.

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Any filter will work. Although, pool filters are not normally constructed to be either energy efficient or quiet for indoor use. Some low-end pumps also heat the water (motor heat) more than other pool pumps or aquarium/pond pumps.
Thank you for your response. Makes sense! It's in a walkin basement so noise is not a big concern and added heat would be a plus as I have to heat the water anyway to get optimum growth.

Any suggestions on a better quality filter to work as secondary filtration for a tank holding 150 gallons of water?

I'm thinking now I could pump the flow back into the fish tank tangentially to the tank wall to create centripetal flow to help move settleable solids to the center drain that is connected to an external standpipe. Used to do something similar to this previously with a different set up.

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Been told on another forum the cartridge will clog in a very short time even with primary filtration. Perhaps as quick as one hour. Apparently the cartridge is designed for "polishing' down to 10 microns.

Still may try it and experiment. Perhaps find a filter I can change the filtration sizing on?

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Pool filters aren't great for aquariums, pools generally don't have to deal with fish poop and food. I don't think it would clog in an hour with the pre filter. Is it just for polishing the water more? What about filter flose?

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Pool filters aren't great for aquariums, pools generally don't have to deal with fish poop and food. I don't think it would clog in an hour with the pre filter. Is it just for polishing the water more? What about filter flose?
Well as I indicated the water is already filtered but I want to filter it even more. The smaller fish fed many times a day are dirtier than the larger fish. Some kind of portable filter that could be dropped in for the fingerlings that could be easily cleaned would be optimum. I don't mind cleaning a filter up to three times a day as this stage is only temporary.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
How about a sand filter type pool filter? We ran them at the store with good results, just backwash them regularly. Water clarity was always good. We would run about 40-50 tanks (20 highs and 30s) off one pool size filter.

Reactions: Cecil B.

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
How about a sand filter type pool filter? We ran them at the store with good results, just backwash them regularly. Water clarity was always good. We would run about 40-50 tanks (20 highs and 30s) off one pool size filter.
Will check into that. A backwash option would be a plus!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store