Getting ready to jump in

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Saturday i added a few(8) community fish from the local feeders supply. Just to go ahead and pour in the DR Tims One and Only since its nearing expiration. Been doing fine until a little bit ago. I lost one of them. Noticed it kind of twisting around in the water going upside down. Turned off the powerhead to calm the tank down. He wasnt going around all crazy anymore but it did parish. The rest of them are doing fine. Not sure what happened but this is kind of the reason i got these first instead of just getting bass. Parameters are fine so it could have been stress or something. Only causes i can think of is being stressed for some reason, getting to close to the powerhead, or getting burned by the heater. Though the powerhead isnt really powerful enough to hurt them. Ive seen them be pushed away by it before. The heaters have one of the canister filters blowing right on them so i dont think they really could have been burned being i have quite a bit of current moving over then constantly. The pleco likes to suck on the heater sometimes. Not sure.

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Here is some more pics.
Tank full of feeder minnows.

Here is a closeup from the other day when they werent being skiddish.

Here is a Black Molly that i found at the bottom yesterday. There is a light colored round spot on its side. Im thinking one of the bass drilled it in the side causing that spot.

Here are some pics from today. Definitely getting some growth on them. When i got to the LFS this weekend im going to see if i can get some cichlid gold to start gutloading the feeders with.

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
I ran out of feeder fish sunday night around midnight. Monday morning i got to witness then annihilate 2 of the 3 pristella tetras i got. I was really suprised they went after such a large fish compared to them. Im not really upset about it as i knew they would become food eventually along with the mollies. It was just suprising to me that this behavior transpired so quickly with them being so young. It was interesting seeing them work in a pack to corner them and strike. This all after a 10 day supply of food lol. I tried to get feeders on sunday but they were completely out of all feeder fish. They get shipments on tuesday so they would have to go another day. While in there getting feeders i saw they still had 2 bass that i had left behind. Mind you these had been in there a few weeks when i got mine. I bought them to because i really kinda wanted to rescue them from the pet store. I know i can provide a better home and life for them so i went ahead and got them. They are fairing well with the other bass. They are slightly smaller. The ones i got initially are about 3.25 inches now and the ones i just got are like 2.5 inches or so. Hopefully they fatten up like the rest. Ive also switched from guppy minnows to Rosy Reds since they can eat tetras. I think the food supple will last longer and its nice not having to dig out dead fish from my filter and powerhead intakes. I also picked up some cichlid gold to see if the rosy reds will eat that. Thats enough of my long winded novel which i dont even think anyone reads this thread anymore. Here are pics and a feeding video.

Here is the video.

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Lost the remaining tetra and 2 mollies. The bass at the m even with feeders in the tank. Lost the final molly last night. Looks like the beat the crap out of it and found it on a filter intake. They are growing still. They have been flashing for a week or two and i have increased the tank temp to 84 degrees. Today i noticed 2 of the bass have white spots so its confirmed they have ich. They are still doing fine and eating well. Here is the Timer power strip i got from Home Depot. This is the same unit as the Coralife unit except it doesnt have the day/night outlets which is fine for me. Now i dont have to worry about the light coming on and going off at all different times. Anyone else use this?

Here is the guilty molly annihilator

tbrown7552

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
sometimes good things come to an end. I had to take the tank down last week and get rid of the fish and the tank. Me and the girlfriend split up and had to move out by the end of this month. Tragic that it happened. Hopefully its just a bump in the road but regardless i didnt want to put the fish through a move which would entail them not staying in the 220. I couldnt get any interest selling them so i ended up giving them away along with the pleco. I did get a measure on them and they were 6-7 inches. They looked around 4-5 in the tank. They were doing well. I just didnt want to try and be selfish and keep the fish if i didnt have security in my homelife as it would stress them and me out. I also sold the tank this weekend as well instead of carrying it around with me as i moved and then eventually moved again. It would just make me mad seeing an empty 220 and not being able to keep fish in it as well as the possibility of it getting damaged while in storage. It really sucks as i wanted to grow them out but life happens. Once i get my life back on track and some security ill most definitely setup another tank. I will go acrylic and prolly do a 265 or something so i can do a ray or something. These were to be my trial fish. If i did anything wrong or had issues they were just 10 dollar ocells. My next setup ill go for a more exotic species like kelberi, azul or kelzul since im confident in my bass keeping skills. It saddens me that i had to bow out of monster fish keeping but ill still be around. Ill see if i can dig up the most recent pics and post them up for all to see then ill retire the thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store