what to put under big tank

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
For rimless tanks (w/Eurobrace), I was instructed by the tank builder to us 3/4" plywood (actually I used Medium Density Overlay) and 1/2" Styrofoam (the sheets a home centers) to absorb imperfections and provides good "crush". I use that on my ~260G w/Metal Stand.

For rimmed tanks, I believe only plywood is advised, and, no styrofoam.

nelsonpush

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2015
I hope no plywood is needed as I was informed if tank has the plastic border to not use anything. No water in tank yet but is set up and on stand. Fingers crossed.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yes, by "Plastic border" I assume you mean the plastic bracing? I think if the stand was wood and had a wood surface that the tank is place on, then I think that's fine. In this case, if your stand is metal, I would think you should use plywood between.

It wouldn't hurt to ask again...my .02.

nelsonpush

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2015
Hi DN328 tank is full now fingers crossed and yes it is a metal stand. I didnt put anything under the tank cause of the plastic bracing. I was gonna use plywood and was told otherwise so decided against it. I hope it works out.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Sure plastic rim works too. I mentioned bracing, as most that I've seen have the plastic rim on the top and bottom perimeter of the tank typically have the cross bracing. If you were advised not to use it, then I suppose I wouldn't either in your case.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
basically if its a trimmed tank nothing, this will remove your warranty, if its not a trimmed tank, and these are rare and usually custom built like my 180 you need to run either card board or a Styrofoam pad underneath.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store