Grouper ID

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Thanks for letting me know, the video is now public. I will get better pictures soon. He was washed out.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I went through my Groupers of the World book and, unfortunately, this grouper may be a match to nearly 2 dozen species from widely diverse locations.
Looking forward to the better pics and if you know the collection point or shipping origin.

Reactions: Cu455

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Thanks I appreciate it. The book seems like a good book, I am going to see if my library or any of the local libraries have it. I will get better pictures soon and call the wholesaler and ask them. The store I got it at didn't have a collection location or a scientific name.

A little background information. A few years ago I saw a blue and yellow grouper which I regret not buying, I embedded a picture below. I am getting my large system back up and want to get this fish. I asked my fish store if the grouper is available. He told me that they have something called a gold and blue grouper and that he will order it and if I want it take it, if I don't leave it. The fish had no scientific name or collection point. I went back the next day to check out their order and it wasn't the grouper I wanted. It was still pretty cool and I figured it was destiny bring us together so I bought it. I have my suspicion on what it is but I don't want to influence anyone.

The grouper I was looking for.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Cool but mine is more red I will get a better picture. The photos I posted showed him washed out.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Yeah I a so pissed I passed on it last year. It was only $35. I will let you know of I come across any. I spoke with another employee from the store and he remembered the fish. It was labled as a cod.

I added a sump to my tank and stirred up some sand, causing my tank to mini cycle and have a bacteria bloom. The water cleared up so I should be able to get a better picture soon. Here is a video. At the 30 sec mark it gets better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store