Dats going blind

jaytx

Feeder Fish
Aug 25, 2015
Are dats prone to going blind? I heard from a few people that the pupil on their dat's eye turned white and they became blind.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They are not exactly prone to going blind but they are prone to cloudy eye which can lead to blindness.They usually get cloudy eye when the water in their tank is high in dissolved wastes.

jaytx

Feeder Fish
Aug 25, 2015
From what i heard their eyes never turned cloudy. It's just that the pupil inside turned white.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
From what i heard their eyes never turned cloudy. It's just that the pupil inside turned white.
Then that sounds like a different ailment the fish is suffering from.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Mine went blind one eye. Had a defect from years ago when I first got it. The good eye finally lost a few months ago He was at least 12 years old though

Alonzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2015
My 5yr old Indo has a very cloudy eye ATM, have been treating with salt baths as this eye issue was a result of him constantly scratching the eye on the filter in-take as it was obviously bothering him : (

Fingers crossed it comes back alright !!

Reactions: Arowana718

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
My 5yr old Indo has a very cloudy eye ATM, have been treating with salt baths as this eye issue was a result of him constantly scratching the eye on the filter in-take as it was obviously bothering him : (

Fingers crossed it comes back alright !!
Show us some pics!

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
They go blind because of the lighting in the tank!

Most people kept them in Arowana barebottom tank with tanning light or some kind of high output lighting system, the intense spectrum causes the whiteness, it's just like if you look directly into the sun.

You got to remember, tigers often reside in shady or in very deep water area where sunlight is scarce.

Reactions: Arowana718

Alonzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2015
My fella's eye came up perfectly after salt bathing 600grams of salt - 40litres of water for a 30min duration, which makes me very happy , tough bloody fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store