Hiding pictus

Qtp443

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
I recently bought a small pictus catfish and it went into hiding almost imeadiatly. It's been 3 days and I hadn't seen him since I got him. im not around the aquarium at night, so he maybe out if they're nocturnal. So I just wanted to know if this is normal or not

Thanks

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Mine will hide during the day but when they think nobody's around they'll come out and swim around. It's best to get a group to help them be more active.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I bought eight to roam my 450 and they scattered as soon as they got out of quarantine. They don't hide but they don't hang out with each other either nor do they cruise around. They each have their own territory and stick to it. Not what I envisioned at all.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Add a few more pictus, if you have the tank space; it should increase activity and remember "an only pictus, is a lonely pictus".

Reactions: Fish100

Qtp443

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
Mine will hide during the day but when they think nobody's around they'll come out and swim around. It's best to get a group to help them be more active.
While we r on the pictus topic what do u feed its I try to feed mine dried brine shrimp but of course I've never seen him eat any.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
While we r on the pictus topic what do u feed its I try to feed mine dried brine shrimp but of course I've never seen him eat any.
Mine eats anything that hits the bottom. Usually that consists of frozen brine shrimp with sprunila, frozen krill, beef heat occasionally, frozen mysis, flakes, live black worms, and shrimp pellets,

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Ime if I put in a lot of hiding places, then they tend to hide a lot. When I still had my pictus cats a few years back I kept 9 with very little hiding spots and I would see them cruising all day long. Ate anything from flakes, pellets and frozen silversides. They tend to do better in a group of 6 or more.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I have a 7'x30" foot print on my tank.
Predominantly for stingrays so very minimal decor/hiding places, although a few hidy holes are present.
I brought two from a friend, they were in a 30" tank. Didn't get along in my tank even though had WAY more room to swim.
The smaller died, assume after bullying from the larger as it was clear they fought.
So now I have a single pictus, pushing 4". Greedy, eats pellets, prawn and mussel and is active 24/7. Not afraid of my 12"+ rays

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store